Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Using Black Fabric (or not)

Quote Originally Posted by dglvr
    Tudey the quilt in your avatar is beautifal.
    I live to use black. I"ve not had any problems with.
    And I have black dogs so I don't worry about that. It ads warmth and character to the quilt. :thumbup:
    Gee, thanks! I have mentioned it before, but that was a HUGE project. 63 different blocks and when I quilted it, I didn't do an all over pattern, I chose to go block by block to try to detail each block on its own merit. Between the piecing and the quilting, it took the better part of 6 months! But my niece loves it. I think it's the best one I ever made.

Power Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by jaciqltznok
    I use Micheal Miller JET black and it has never faded, even in the sun...I tested a piece before I bought the whole bolt...the Kona faded and turned purple...
    Good to know that the Michael Miller black does not fade.

It does, however, shrink a LOT - up to three inches in width - although it seemed to maintain the length.

I really do love some black in the right quilt but I find black so hard to see when sewing. I will probably continue to use some black, at times and for the right quilts. I use Kona Solid and hoping it will not fade easily, over time.

I love black in quilts,,,,,,,,,, as you can see LOL

I use black quite a bit, love, love, love Michael Miller.

Blog Entries
    Has anyone used black muslin? I bought a bolt of 108" black muslin the other day and used a 50% off coupon on it. Now I am afraid to use it. I sure don't want it to fade. Maybe if I washed one quilt back at a time with retain it will work out fine. What ya'll think?

Power Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by drgranny
    Has anyone used black muslin? I bought a bolt of 108" black muslin the other day and used a 50% off coupon on it. Now I am afraid to use it. I sure don't want it to fade. Maybe if I washed one quilt back at a time with retain it will work out fine. What ya'll think?
    Depends on the muslin - not all muslins are created equally.

Blog Entries
    I had a phobia about black fabric. I was afraid to use it. Over the past 6 months I have delved into using it alot. It makes things pop.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2