Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Using decorative stitches for quilting >

Using decorative stitches for quilting

Using decorative stitches for quilting

Old 06-22-2011, 04:28 PM

make sure you have the correct needle and it is sharp !!!!
Old 06-22-2011, 05:48 PM

I was going to suggest the same thing. The decorative stitches are really pretty on the top.
Old 06-22-2011, 08:56 PM

I sew my binding down to the front with decorative stitches. Love the quilts this way.
Old 06-22-2011, 11:11 PM

Originally Posted by Quiltgranny
I have often used the Serpentine stitch instead of trying to quilt in the ditch. Using it wasn't a problem at the county fair last year as I got a blue ribbon for this quilt. I had originally tried straight ditch quilting and had so much trouble with it that I ripped out several rows (on this quilt) and redid them with the Serpentine stitch. It's become one of my main design element stitches.
That looks very effective - must give it a go! As regards, stitch in the ditch, last night I did some using Bottom Line bobbin thread both top and bottom, because it was the only thread I had available in the colour I wanted. It worked very well, in that being so fine, it was just about invisible. Someone will probably tell me why it's not a good idea to use it on top, but I was pleased with the result.
Old 06-22-2011, 11:13 PM

Originally Posted by dotski
make sure you have the correct needle and it is sharp !!!!
What needle would you use? I tried topstitch and quilting, sizes 11 and 14. I think it was the quilting no.11 that I finally went with.
Old 06-22-2011, 11:23 PM
QM
Power Poster

Some stitches work better than others, but plan on sewing more slowly than usual. I have also made 3 quilts and a jacket that I quilted with hand embroidery.That works pretty well too.
Old 06-22-2011, 11:49 PM

Originally Posted by Rose_P
One thing to keep in mind is that many of the decorative stitches make a lot of punctures in the fabric very close together. Over time, these perforations will act like they do on the edge of postage stamps: making it easy to tear. I used a lot of them on a quilt one time, and then I happened to hold it up with a light behind it and was surprised at how much light came through around those stitches.

They're fine for a wall hanging that won't get much handling or washing, but I'd have second thoughts about using them in a bed or lap quilt.
This is another good reason to enlarge a bit as stitches not quite so dense then. I have done this alot. Sometimes I use a couple of layers of flannel rather than batting particularly for baby or toddler cozy comfy quilts. Lots of my first quilts were crazy quilts and I decorated them all up!!!
Old 06-23-2011, 05:25 AM

Here's a picture of the stitch I used. I've used lines of different lengths placed randomly on the background to the wall hanging. I can't show you a picture of the whole thing yet, as it's not finished and is covered in thread tails!
Attached Thumbnails attachment-215575.jpe  
Old 06-23-2011, 06:16 AM

Originally Posted by Holice
you just have to experiement. ... Walking foot just to go forward and limited in other directions.
...One method does not fit all machines
The walking foot on some machines can do reverse stitching. Either check your manual or contact your vendor as to whether your walking foot can sew in reverse.