Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
USING DRIER SHEETS IN QUILTING >

USING DRIER SHEETS IN QUILTING

USING DRIER SHEETS IN QUILTING

Old 01-25-2011, 08:52 PM

Somebody mentioned the other day about the fire risk in using drier sheets in our quilting. I started saving them but decided to test them before using them.
I held a used sheet over the sink & put a match to it. It immediately went up in flames so I dropped it into the sink under running water. I will never use them in my quilting. Most definitely not in kids' quilts. It sounded like such a good idea originally. I'll stick to light wt. fusible instead.

I read how we can layer the applique pc. right sides together with the fusible. After sewing it around & turning it right side out, cut the insides of the fusible out leaving a narrow rim around the edge of the applique. Be sure you layer them right to end up with the fusible rim facing the block. I did it wrong once & ended up with the fusible facing the wrong way. Duuh. That also prevents so much stiffness to the applique.
Old 01-25-2011, 09:41 PM

Thank you for the info. Unfortunately I just finished my 2nd quilt using dryer sheets. Now I am worrying about them.
Old 01-25-2011, 09:48 PM

Originally Posted by Sandee
Thank you for the info. Unfortunately I just finished my 2nd quilt using dryer sheets. Now I am worrying about them.
I'm so sorry I didn't learn this earlier for you. I just did the test today & there is NO way I'd use them in a quilt now. I'm talking about instant flames. Please, everybody should try this very carefully so you'll see it first hand. Just be very careful.
If you're giving them away, I'd consider warning the receiver about how to handle them. Too keep them away from fireplaces, etc.
Old 01-25-2011, 09:50 PM
Banned

For it to be a fair comparison, you need to do the same thing with the fusible.
Old 01-25-2011, 10:08 PM

I use dryer sheets on a lot of scrappy quilts after they are used in the wash, then iron them. I think anything would catch fire if you lit a match to it. Used them fro years so maybe it's ok. I may have to do an experiement myself after one is washed. I also buy the scent free and that makes a difference. Good luck.
Old 01-25-2011, 10:12 PM

Location: A Hop from Heaven, a Skip from Sanity and a Jump from the Good Life....

Originally Posted by debbieumphress
I use dryer sheets on a lot of scrappy quilts after they are used in the wash, then iron them. I think anything would catch fire if you lit a match to it. Used them fro years so maybe it's ok. I may have to do an experiement myself after one is washed. I also buy the scent free and that makes a difference. Good luck.
geez don't burn a quilt after all that hard work to make it!! :shock:

Id like to know what happens deb- so please post when experiment is completed.. Makes me cringe knowing your gonna burn a masterpiece of your.. eeek.. !!! yea i know its for the greater good.. may your quilt rest in piece... :cry:
Old 01-25-2011, 10:41 PM

Originally Posted by luvTooQuilt
Originally Posted by debbieumphress
geez don't burn a quilt after all that hard work to make it!! :shock:

Id like to know what happens deb- so please post when experiment is completed.. Makes me cringe knowing your gonna burn a masterpiece of your.. eeek.. !!! yea i know its for the greater good.. may your quilt rest in piece... :cry:
I think she was talking about burning one of the dryer sheets after she had washed it not one of her quilts, at lest that what
I hope she meant. :shock:
Old 01-25-2011, 10:44 PM
Power Poster

I am extremely allergic to drier sheets, even used ones, as is my none genetically related son. Many people are allergic to detergents and other scented items. Thank you for making us aware of the fire danger of reusing the sheets. I like being thrify but maybe we should all pass on this one.
Old 01-25-2011, 10:46 PM
-k

the reason dryer sheet burn so easily is that they have a petroleum based wax in them; it is one of the things that bother people with chemical sensitivities the most.
Old 01-25-2011, 10:54 PM

Just use them to clean your iron instead. Cleans off build up on the iron and won't scratch the surface.