Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Using DSM machine embroidery stitches for quilting >

Using DSM machine embroidery stitches for quilting

Using DSM machine embroidery stitches for quilting

Old 12-08-2020, 10:23 AM

Selm ,
You misunderstood my post. I said that the decorative stitches were sometimes distorted when I didn’t use dual feed/walking foot. The sandwich wasn’t being fed through evenly and I would get distortion. My dealer said not to do decorative stitches that go backward while using the walking foot as it is meant to only go forward.

By all means do what works for you.

Last edited by JanieW; 12-08-2020 at 10:27 AM.
Old 12-08-2020, 03:40 PM
Power Poster

Copycat those two squares look great. Would look really good as QAYG.
Old 12-08-2020, 03:55 PM
Power Poster

Julie- I'm thinking it may be tedious for a whole quilt. I've used decorative stitches occasionally, for example on bindings, small projects, etc, but I don't think I'd have the patience to use them on a big quilt.
Old 12-08-2020, 07:29 PM

Originally Posted by aashley333 View Post
I use the decorative stitches on my Bernina (830 Record) to stitch quilt bindings.
I do this too, though I use a 440. I love your variegated thread; I will have to try that soon. BTW, I acquired a 830 Record myself a couple of weeks back, and I am already in love. It will be my travel machine for the motorhome, if we ever get to travel again.
Old 12-09-2020, 08:53 AM

I sewed this wallhanging with decorative stitches between each piece of fabric in the "field" through the entire sandwich just using my regular Teflon open toe foot and it was fine.

Watson
Attached Thumbnails field.jpg  
Old 12-09-2020, 02:46 PM

Originally Posted by copycat View Post
I have made mug rugs and placemats using decorative stitches with success. Thanks for the link to seeing decorative stitches in a quilt. I think it would be fun to do a block at a time and assemble quilt as you go style.
Copycat, that's a cute mug rug, but I *l.o.v.e.* those plaid readers! I think I need a pair!

Now, I'm tempted to try a simple thing like a blanket stitch on a quilt...hmmm.
Old 12-09-2020, 05:51 PM

Originally Posted by Watson View Post
I sewed this wallhanging with decorative stitches between each piece of fabric in the "field" through the entire sandwich just using my regular Teflon open toe foot and it was fine.

Watson
Beautiful Watson! Those are some of my favorite colors.
Old 12-09-2020, 06:27 PM

Originally Posted by selm View Post
I use decorative stitches to finish binding a quilt by machine using a walking foot. I have not experienced any distortion doing it this way even with stitches that go backwards a stitch or two.
Just the other day I was reading about this. It was An article by a sewing machine repair person. He said it depends on the sewing machine on whether or not it will sew decorative stitches that uses back stitches while using a walking foot. Another thing mentioned was to be sure the foot you are using will support the width of your stitch, which I would think is obvious but... I've been known to switch stiches and completely forget about the foot i have attached so.... Lol