Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Using flannel as backing/batting??? >

Using flannel as backing/batting???

Using flannel as backing/batting???

Old 06-11-2012, 04:25 AM

Default Using flannel as backing/batting???

So there have been some threads about using flannel as a backing for quilts. My question is this - does the flannel take the place of both the backing AND the batting?

I need to make some light weight quilts for summer but in New England it gets chilly and I thought the flannel (sheets is what I am thinking?) would do nicely.

If it is used for both, does it quilt decently? I have a mid arm.
Old 06-11-2012, 04:30 AM
Power Poster

Have you tried the search function? We have discussed this several times. I have made an entire flannel quilt and some with flannel backing and batting. For me, I washed and dried the flannel 3 times because it shrinks and pills. Good luck!
Old 06-11-2012, 05:04 AM

I use it often for backing baby quilts with batting to make them snuggly. I think it would be perfect for a New England Summer quilt with or without batting. Your quilting isn't going to have much definition without batting so I would just tack it or do a simple meander.
Old 06-11-2012, 05:19 AM

Using flannel for backing is my most frequent choice. I love how cuddly it is. Unless I've bought really cheap-o flannel, I do not preshrink it. In 20 years of quilting, this has yet to be a problem.
Old 06-11-2012, 06:16 AM

You can use just flannel without a batting... But I found I did not care for the results... it jsut lacked that bit of fill to give the quilt stitches definition. Concider using a very very light weight cotton batting like cream rose or cream white... a very thin light weight 100 percent cotton batting.
Old 06-11-2012, 06:21 AM

I use flannel to back and batting also..I guess if I was making a light weight summer blanket, I would eliminate the batting. Even tho I live in FL, I still like a weightier blanket
Old 06-11-2012, 06:37 AM

I am going to use flannel for a backing but I am also going to use a low loft batting as hubby wants his quilt nice and warm. I guess it is a preference and also how you plan to quilt it.
Old 06-11-2012, 06:50 AM

I love flannel for the back of quilts. I usually always use flannel. It is so soft and cuddly! I never prewash and have never had a problem. I like the look of the quilt when the fabric shrinks. The gals in my friendship quilt group do not prewash their flannel either. I agree with the others that without some type of batting there is no definition to the quilt stitches. I make charity blankets for foster kids and don't use batting - just flannel on the back, but I tie those instead of quilting. They do make a nice lightweight blankets.
Old 06-11-2012, 02:21 PM

I made a quilt of flannel, backed it with a flannel sheet, and filled it with outdated, small floral, flannel! Worked great. I also made flannel binding, and didn't realize that that could be a problem. It all worked....ignorance is sometimes bliss!
Old 06-11-2012, 03:04 PM
Power Poster

i make lots of quilts using flannel- it only pils if it is an inexpensive- lesser flannel- good quality double sided flannel will hold up for years without pilling-
when i make quilts i want to be lightweight- cotton top, flannel back i either use an additional layer of flannel for a batting- or i use a layer of muslin- i just like them better with something in that center- adds body to the quilt- they are limp & sad with only 2 layers- (just my experience & preference) maybe put together a small practice square- with just cotton & flannel layers- quilt it & see what you think? then try it again with a center layer of muslin or flannel & see what you think of that- then decide