Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Using glue on quilt tops >

Using glue on quilt tops

Using glue on quilt tops

Old 06-15-2011, 12:58 AM

Elmers school glue washes out. Go to Sharon Schambers you tube site and check the one on binding. She uses Elmers a lot and heat sets it with an iron to make it stay. I know that elmers washes out.
Old 06-15-2011, 05:35 AM

Originally Posted by misseva
The operative word here for glue in the hair is "spiked". Spiked hair is by nature ---- short. I've got to try it!
Me too since my hair is spiked. You never know until you try. Makes me think of the time when I was a teenager my mother saw me ironing my hair (of course it was long then) and she thought I was crazy.
Old 06-15-2011, 05:39 AM

Originally Posted by teacherbailey
I don't like the pieces and chips I get from glue sticks. I use Elmer's Blue Gel Glue. Found out about it in Quilting Arts Magazine; it can be used for batik too. I use rubber cement for temporary hems (though I forgot one and left it in for a couple of years....no problems!); it only dry cleans out so it should be fine for quilts too.
I'm confused. Elmers glue or rubber cement? What is the difference? I mean can they not both be used in the same way? Somewhere on this board I saw something about ways to use rubber cement.
Old 06-15-2011, 05:42 AM

Originally Posted by Suzy
Some people use it on their faces as a facemask. Haven't tried it myself, but they claim it works.

Suzy
Glue? On your face? It would be my luckk it wouldn't wash off. LOL
Old 06-15-2011, 06:08 AM

Hi! I couldn't use the rubber cement for long, the fumes are just too strong but I love the glue sticks and buy in the packages of four or five at a time. I'm working on a paper piecing project and have found the glue is so helpful there too. When you're starting with that first piece and try to keep it positioned properly is almost impossible but with the glue it stays put. And if you don't want to wash the project, a spray bottle of water and a wash cloth will remove most of the glue till its nearly impossible to tell it was ever there.
I even used glue sticks instead of temporary spray adhesive when I'm doing machine embroidery. I never have worry about overspray getting on my hoop. The glue has never gummed up a needle like a spray adhesive can.
I've found the disappearing glue works as well as the white glue so I buy whatever I can find. Chris
Old 06-15-2011, 07:07 AM

The only thing I remember reading about Rubber Cement is to put on the back side of your ruler to keep it from sliding on the fabric. I don't think I would try it to replace Elmers on the binding. JMHO!!!! I don't really know if it is wash away or not.
Old 06-15-2011, 07:08 AM

Originally Posted by Jshep
Some people use it on their faces as a facemask. Haven't tried it myself, but they claim it works.

Suzy
Glue? On your face? It would be my luckk it wouldn't wash off. LOL
Yep, you peel it off like a mask!
Old 06-15-2011, 08:00 AM

I love it, did my best piecing using it.
When you wash the quilt it's gone.
Old 06-15-2011, 10:05 AM

I don' think rubber cement washes out. Elmers school glue most definely washes out. I've been using it for more than 2 years and it is one of the best (tools of the trade) so to speak. Makes binding a quilt a pleasure instead of the dread of being stuck by pins as you are hand stitching the binding to the back. Also don't have to worry about lost pins in the carpet or furniture. I give credit to Sharon Schambers each time I show another person how nice your binding will look with her method.

good luck

Suzy
Old 06-15-2011, 08:51 PM

I don' think rubber cement washes out. Elmers school glue most definely washes out. I've been using it for more than 2 years and it is one of the best (tools of the trade) so to speak. Makes binding a quilt a pleasure instead of the dread of being stuck by pins as you are hand stitching the binding to the back. Also don't have to worry about lost pins in the carpet or furniture. I give credit to Sharon Schambers each time I show another person how nice your binding will look with her method.

good luck

Suzy

Ditto - I really like her method of binding a quilt.I have used it several times and it works. What I like about using it if something isn't straight or you need to take it apart just lift it up and start over, no sticking or using a ripper.
I don't think I would use rubber cement on fabric especially not a quilt. The fumes get me also, but then I don't think it washes out. I taught First Grade for 21 yrs and I definitely know Elmers School glue washes out..