Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Using Glue >

Using Glue

Using Glue

Old 07-15-2019, 02:54 AM

Originally Posted by Jingle View Post
I always fold my bindings in half and press. I never use glue on bindings.
Exactly how I do mine and I think they look very good.
Old 07-15-2019, 03:16 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by sahansen44 View Post
Exactly how I do mine and I think they look very good.
Me three!!
Old 07-15-2019, 06:22 AM

Yes, I've glued my bindings and they turned out perfectly. You can use the tips that come on a bottle of Elmer's washable school glue if you keep a light touch instead of paying money for the needle tips. The only thing I dislike is the fact that with my work area setup, I have to bend over to do it and it's hard on my back.
Old 07-15-2019, 06:59 AM
Power Poster

After I sew one side of the binding to the quilt then I glue and press it in place on the opposite side. I have been doing this for years since my first class with Sharon Schamber. She is a perfectionist when it comes to her sewing and she very knowledgeable about the products she uses. Not many know she soaks her spools/cones of thread in mineral oil before using.
Old 07-15-2019, 07:02 AM

Love Sharon S.'s method; have been using it ever since I watched her video. I always glue then iron; drys it out and presses flat and I usually wait til next day to sew down, don't want it ruining my machine and never have had a problem with it.
Old 07-15-2019, 09:24 AM

I use Elmer's Glue for attaching my binding before I stitch it down. It keeps me from getting stabbed with the pins. Also this way I know I have enough binding too. Yes, it does both, sets it and dries it for you. If you make a mistake you can just pull it up, add a little more glue and reset it with the iron. I picked up those little tips for my bottle but I find I can add just as little using the Elmer's bottle tip that comes with it. The clue is not to use too much glue and you don't have to cover all the way down either. You can add small dots of glue every inch or so as you press to set it. I like the fact that it comes out in the wash. I also set my label on the backside this way too as well as when I want seams to match up perfectly and pins seem to distort it I'll add a drop of glue to the center, press it and stitch it. I ordered my tips by ordering "Roxanne's Glue Baste It", 2oz bottle that I just refill when I do use those tips. Just need to be sure to clean out the tips of glue after you're done.
Old 07-15-2019, 09:25 AM

Also when adding the glue, put it within the seam area so you're not sewing thru it, this keeps your needle from getting gummed up with glue.
Old 07-15-2019, 08:46 PM

We just clip the binding on with the little red clips. If a seam in binding ends up in a corner we take them off, adjust the placement and start again. Yes, we have enough clips for king size quilt all way around. I sew it down using a walking foot. I, personally, would not care to mess with glue. Aren’t we all glad there is no such thing as quilt police so we can feel free to experiment and find what works best for us.
Old 07-16-2019, 05:17 AM

Yes there have been quite a few about gluing binding. And I used to press my binding in half and I read somewhere Not to press it. And it does roll to the back (or front if you do yours that way) much nicer. I've done them that way ever since. I've never used glue on fabric. Just doesn't "sound right" to me. Guess that goes back to grade school days when it's "don't glue all over your clothes" kind of thing. Guess that stuck with me (no pun intended there).

Last edited by QuiltnNan; 07-16-2019 at 07:54 AM. Reason: shouting/all caps
Old 07-16-2019, 05:47 AM

I found mine at Michael's.
Originally Posted by Libits View Post
The next time I bind, I’m going to glue it first. Everything I’ve seen and read says to iron the glue. Is that to set it into the fibers or to dry it or both? Also, anyone know where I can find one of the metal glue tips? I don’t want to buy 40 plastic bottles with cheap plastic tips that Amazon has.