Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Using Heat 'n' Bond

Using Heat 'n' Bond

Has anyone actually sewn through the HeatnBond Ultrahold while making a T-Shirt quilt?
    I have been asked to make a T-shirt quilt. (Never did that before.) I went to my local quilt store and they sold me some HeatnBond. When I got home, I noticed that it says right on the package "Once applied, HeatnBond Ultrahold is NOT to be sewn through." I took it back to the store, and they insisted that they use that all the time. I came back home and now I noticed that it says also on the packaging in the "Tips: DO NOT SEW! If stitching is required, use HeatnBond Lite in the purple package." I'm going back to the store and point this out to them, but has anyone used the Ultra for this?
    Mavita - Square dancer and One Room School Teacher

Ive only used heatnbond lite - and even that adds noticeable thickness. I don't think I wouldn't want to sew through the ultra.

Blog Entries
    Yes I have and then I realized that I wasn't using the light HnB. You can sew through the Ulltra heatnbond, but it will gum up your needle thus causing skipped stitches.
    Don't worry spider.
    I keep house
    casually.
    ---Basho
    Nothing's too small...I love miniatures.

I have used heat and bond lite and have sewn with blanket stitch on the project. I had no trouble. It did seem a little stiff where I added the applique piece but had no problems with sewing it to background. I bought the package at Walmart.

I have only sewn on Heat'n'Bond lite. Even it is a bit stiff, before it's been washed, so I'm guessing the the Ultra would cause many skipped stitches. Personally, I would heed the manufacturer instructions and not sew through it. I have never made T-shirt quilt, but I have heard that many quilters use Pellon Featherweight interfacing.
    https://www.walmart.com/ip/Pellon-91...kage/358399946
    We didn't realize we were making memories, we just knew we were having fun. ~ Winnie the Pooh ~

1912 World's Rotary Treadle (White Company), 1942 Singer 66-16, 1952 Pfaff 130-6, 1954 Singer 15-91, 1956 Singer 201-2

Many years ago, I used Steam-a-Seam. In recent years I only use Wonder Under 805. I love it. Have made many applique projects with no problem. I have to add that I machine applique.
    Life is not a movie. No one is going to yell "CUT" when you make a mistake. - Anne L. Fulton

I am from the South....39 miles south of Boston.

Blog Entries
    Yes, will gum up needle. No trouble with Wonder Under !

I can't imagine a tee shirt quilt using Heat n Bond Utlra. There are many products available for tee shirt backing that is much better then Heat n Bond. A few quilters I know that make tee shirt quilts for customers use this: http://quiltersselect.com/products/S...Select-Cutaway. They won't use anything else.
    Last edited by Onebyone; 04-28-2018 at 06:48 AM.
    I believe giving what I can will never cause me to be in need.
    Being cheap is not a badge of honor.
    My heroes are working people, paying their own way, taking care of their children and being decent human beings.

Blog Entries
    take it back and read it to them. get the kind you then need from them. goodness, what silly people!

And people wonder why so some quilt shops go out of business. I wouldn't go back to that shop. It could might possibly void the warranty on a new machine if it bogs up.
    I believe giving what I can will never cause me to be in need.
    Being cheap is not a badge of honor.
    My heroes are working people, paying their own way, taking care of their children and being decent human beings.

I have sewn thru it and it isn't fun. It does gum up the needle but didn't hurt the machine, as others have mentioned there were skipped stitches. If your t shirts have large vinyl decals also it may be a bad combination. The vinyl is hard to sew thru also. It was also stiff.

Besides possibly gumming up the needle, I think it would make the quilt stiffer than you want in a t-shirt quilt. I use a very light weight fusible for them. Seems like it is Pellon Feather weight 911. It's been a while since I made one. Sounds like you may need to look somewhere other than your LQS, unfortunately.

Oh my! You people have me in tears, you are so wonderful. I am certainly going to take it back and read them the directions on the packaging. Luckily it's only 3 miles from my house.

Don't use Heat 'n Bond - use a very light fusible non-woven interfacing. I've made several t-shirt quilts using that and had no problem. And they are so soft...
    GrannyLady - Having too much fun dressing my grandaughters.

JT
    Do not use the heat and bond! For t-shirt quilts I use Pellon 911. Very easy to use and remember.
    JT

So what does a person use Heat'n'Bond for? I'm not familiar with this product.

I use non woven fusible interfacing-lite weight. Take that stiff stuff back to store and tell whomever it was that told you that to please re-educate themselves!

https://leahday.com/products/french-fuse

i saw Nancy Zieman use this too
    Alyce

Misty Fuse is a good one to use and doesn't make the item stiff.

I also use a light weight knit iron on interfacing for t-shirt quilts. It quilted just fine with invisible thread no less.

I was making some flags for our youth group at church, and used the Ultra hold to put the designs on them, and it worked great,however, I did not have to sew the designs. the Heat&Bond Lite is great for appliques, etc.I use it all the time for baby bibs,etc. hope this helps.

Blog Entries
    I wouldn't sew through it. I do use the Lite.

Quote Originally Posted by illinois View Post
    So what does a person use Heat'n'Bond for? I'm not familiar with this product.
    If you sew pieces of several T-shirts together, they would not end up square, as the fabric is so stretchy it would never stay where you want it. So you take some kind of interfacing and iron it onto the back of that knit fabric. Now it feels and acts as if you were using quilting cotton. That's what you want. Sometimes an interfacing is ironed onto the back of an appliqued piece; wherever a little more stiffness is desired in the fabric.

One by one has a link that shows many different kinds of interfacing.
    Also, see Stitchnripper's post above and check out the link.

Apparently my LQS didn't know there were different grades of HeatnBond. They are more of a craft place but sell many things quilters use.
    Last edited by maviskw; 04-30-2018 at 06:44 AM.

Blog Entries
    I use heat and bond a lot, but I would not use Ultra on a quilt. It is a bit too stiff for my liking. But, may I ask why you are using a web product rather than a fusible interfacing? Usually you stabilize the T-shirt with a fusible interfacing and then cut out the piece. At this point you use it as if it were a 'regular' piece of fabric.

Blog Entries
    I spent a whole day going thru you tube videos to find decent ones on T-shirt quilt making so I would have something to tell my customers to watch. Most are absolute junk and some even seemed dangerous! But, a very basic one with lots of variations and simple instructions is our old standard - Eleanor Burns Quilt in a Day. Her YouTube video has all the basic info and also how to utilize different sizes (pocket logos, sleeve logos). You do have more than her normal amount of silly talk, but she puts in an awful lot of good instruction in the video.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast