Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
using a jelly roll >

using a jelly roll

using a jelly roll

Old 01-30-2011, 09:29 AM

I am going to make a postage stamp quilt using a jelly roll for the first time. I have always pre-washed fabrics so finished quilt doesn't have "bleeding" issues, but everyone seems to just start on the jelly roll without pre-washing. Has anyone ever had "bleeding" problems using a jellyroll from a Moda fabric collection? This one I'm using has a few red fabrics in it; it's a gorgeous collection: Pom Pom de Paris Jelly Roll
French General for Moda Fabrics

What would you do? prewash or no?
Old 01-30-2011, 09:31 AM

I have never pre washed a jelly roll and so far no problems - I always wash the quilt when I finish before giving it away and no problems yet.
Old 01-30-2011, 09:35 AM
LDB

I love precuts, but its impractical to prewash them. After you piece your quilt you could wash the top and backing in a product called Retayne. It sets the dyes so that there is no bleeding. I just finished a quilt made with a batik charm pack of all different colors and black kona cotton. Washed the top with Retayne prior to taking it to the LA. Not one run or streak from the batiks or the black! Woohoo!
Old 01-30-2011, 09:44 AM

don't pre-wash!!

piece together and then wash with retayne or shout color catchers.

are you following psiquilt's postage stamp quilt-a-long?

I have my fabric, but I have a couple of projects ahead of that one. it might be a summer project!

=)
Old 01-30-2011, 09:49 AM

Don't pre-wash! After you finish quilting you can either wash it using a color catcher sheet (made by shout) or I often gift the color catcher with the quilt since so many people prefer there own laundry soap due to allergies. No pre washing here...
Old 01-30-2011, 09:52 AM

I wouldn't prewash. I've used them many of times and have never had a problem nor have I prewashed. I don't prewash any of my fabric anymore actually, unless it's RED!. they like to bleed on things! :(
Old 01-30-2011, 09:53 AM
Cyn

Originally Posted by LDB
I love precuts, but its impractical to prewash them. After you piece your quilt you could wash the top and backing in a product called Retayne. It sets the dyes so that there is no bleeding. I just finished a quilt made with a batik charm pack of all different colors and black kona cotton. Washed the top with Retayne prior to taking it to the LA. Not one run or streak from the batiks or the black! Woohoo!
I wouldn't prewash either but I wonder if using those clolr sheets inthe washer would work?
Old 01-30-2011, 10:27 AM

shout color catchers are fantastic. I can wash (cold) all my tie dyes with other laundry using the color catchers.
Old 01-30-2011, 10:38 AM
LDB

I had thought of using the color catchers however, the smart gal at the LQS mentioned that you would have to keep using color catchers if you don't set the dyes in the fabric with the Retayne. Keeps the quilts from fading with each wash could happen if you don't set the dyes. If its not a quilt that will be washed much, probably not as much of a worry, but would hate to put the time into a quilt only to have it fade.
Old 01-30-2011, 11:24 AM

Yes, I am! but just like you, I'll be doing it later. I just went ahead and chose my fabric.

are you following psiquilt's postage stamp quilt-a-long?

I have my fabric, but I have a couple of projects ahead of that one. it might be a summer project!

=)[/quote]