Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Using men's ties >

Using men's ties

Using men's ties

Old 05-15-2011, 06:24 PM

Originally Posted by Prism99
Originally Posted by oldcatlady
I have all my father's ties after he passed away. I plan on making wallhangings or pillows for the women in my family. I was looking for the book 'Daddy's Ties' by Shirley Botsford but it is out of print. I finally found a new book on ebay at a good price. Worth every penny and no S/H. she describes how to prep ties and has lots pf projects. I first found it at my local libray.
What is the name of the book you got? I would like to look for it.
Sorry. I reread my note and it was confusing. I meant to say I found the book 'Daddy's Ties' and it was a new book not used and I got it on amazon.com not ebay-sorry :oops:
Old 05-20-2011, 05:32 AM

Would love to see a picture ! ;-)
Old 05-20-2011, 06:02 AM

Thank you - I purchased the book "Daddy's Ties" by Shirley Botsford last night on Borders.com, w/coupon and discount $7.63 It is also available at amazon.com, new or used, but Borders worked out to be less $'s. Last week purchased the following ties (200+) at an estate sale
Attached Thumbnails attachment-199575.jpe  
Old 05-20-2011, 06:44 AM

I have started a stash of mens ties. Picked some up at Goodwill...some at Salvation Army....some off ebay....bought a large lot off of ebay....pretty nasty. will use gloves and wash them for sure first....If it can't survive the washing machine....then it doesn't become a quilt...THE BOOK is the key, a must how...I am using all kinds of ties, cotton, silk, polyester, linen....whatever...it will give the quilt character....there are all kinds of ideas out there do a goggle....and you will see, have found some for sell for thousands of dollars. OMG !!!! who would have thought
Old 05-20-2011, 09:30 AM

Great find berrypatch!!!
I'm glad you got the book. Definitely wash the ties when you get them from people you don't know. The book explains it very well. I too have done some googling and found some good stuff. Google just amazes me :)
I feel the same way, if it doesn't survive the wash, it's not for me!
I bought some really pretty dark navy heavy textured satin to use as the background for my small wallhangings and maybe a pillow. Whatever small pieces of ties left over after cutting, I'll make into a crazy quilt patch so I use as much of my Dad's ties as I can. I have 2 sisters so Dad was the only male in the family, it became so obvious after he passed away that he was the center of our family!