Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Using phone books for piecing

Blog Entries

Using phone books for piecing

I know Bonnie Hunter uses phone books for string block piecing, my question is can you use the yellow pages?? I have more of them than the regular phone books..
    Appreciate anyone's advice...
    Thanks..

Power Poster
    Check to make sure that the ink does not transfer or smear.

Power Poster
    I wouldn't recommend phone book pages if your piecing with white. They can be newsprint transfer on light fabric. If you are using dark fabrics, go for it!

Blog Entries
    What's a phone book?

Go to Uhaul and buy a box of paper used to wrap up your valuable. It is newsprint paper with out the print. I also use Crayola drawing paper. It is also newsprint paper. I get mine at the Dollar store.

Blog Entries
    *** I use the pages from the phone book (white & yellow) all the time.
    *** Have had no trouble even with white fabric.
    J J (jbj137)

I am a G.R.I.T.
    G = girl R =raised I = in T = the S = South

Blog Entries
    i use phone book pages, too. mostly the yellow pages.
    Nancy in western NY
    before you speak T.H.I.N.K.
    T is it True? H is it Helpful? I is it Inspiring? N is it Necessary? K is it Kind?

Life may not be the party we hoped for, but while we are here we might as well dance.

I believe the ink is not supposed to transfer from phone book pages, which is why some people use them. That said, my friend has a quilt top made by her Grandmother with newspaper for foundation. People used what they had, and a phone book would be too valuable to use until the new one came, so newspaper was a go-to, at least among the non- rich folks!
    Margaret F

use it all the time too. If I need a specific design, I would staple 6-7 pages together and sew without thread to punch the design on the papers. Never had an issue.

Blog Entries
    I have no problem with white or yellow pages. The problem is to find any. Most people don't keep them anymore.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Marian Schermerhorn View Post
    Go to Uhaul and buy a box of paper used to wrap up your valuable. It is newsprint paper with out the print.
    My local newspaper will give you their "end rolls", for free. Unprinted newspaper on a roll.

I have more yellow pages than white. For some reason this country area gets 6 or more phone books a year.
    Retired teacher, loving it.
    Love quilting also.

The phone books here are small. Not much bigger then a paperback book. I buy the 10" square foundation papers from MSQC for string piecing. Also I have a box of deli papers used for sandwiches I use for foundation piecing. I got a 1000 sheets for about $5 at Sam's Club a few years ago. I never will use all those up. For paper piecing and printing the pattern, I bought a ream of lightweight vellum and it has lasted me for years and will last for years more.
    I believe giving what I can will never cause me to be in need.
    Being cheap is not a badge of honor.
    My heroes are working people, paying their own way, taking care of their children and being decent human beings.

Quote Originally Posted by Sandra in Minnesota View Post
    I have no problem with white or yellow pages. The problem is to find any. Most people don't keep them anymore.
    Go to a small town post office in November when new phone books come out. They usually have lots of extras.

My mother-in-law used paper towels and I like to make bigger blocks so I use a full size paper towel for my string blocks.

Suz
    OK, stupid question. What are you making that requires phone pages I assume for stabilizer? Is it removed once stitched?

Foundation piecing needs a foundation so either very thin fabric or paper is used. Paper is removed. Most use phone book pages because it's thin and free.
    I believe giving what I can will never cause me to be in need.
    Being cheap is not a badge of honor.
    My heroes are working people, paying their own way, taking care of their children and being decent human beings.

Power Poster
    Blog Entries
    I don't use newspaper but the others are usually pretty handy. I have phone books of all sizes and have used the different sizes. I also have the papers from MSQC. I went to the discount dollar store and got tissue paper dirt cheap for a $1. The sheets are usually 20"x 20" and I have gotten as many as 20-30 sheets. I buy up a couple packages around Christmas since often there are more to a package. ANother to use is gift wrap leftover from Christmas that isn't big enough to really wrap anything.

Blog Entries
    I use children's tracing paper.

You can also buy newsprint at Michael's. Then, too, we can buy end rolls from our newspaper plant. There are many yards of paper and they usually sell for a dollar. The large, heavy tube is useful also.

Quote Originally Posted by Peckish View Post
    What's a phone book?
    Beats me, I didn't know that they were still around.
    All my grand-children have paws.

I used to use the phone book pages for string quilting. Had no problem with print transfer but you had to watch out for newspaper print. The older the paper, the less transfer. Stop using all paper because I hated tearing all the paper from the back. I now use thin muslin. Makes the quilt a bit heavier but works well. Recently tried some tulle, that stuff you use to make little girls skirts. that worked out well, but I had trouble seeing the edges of the block. Happy Sewing.

Besides paper, usu Carol Doak's newsprint, I have used old catering tablecloths or napkins. That way, I didn't have to use batting & called them summer or porch quilts, like my grandmother did. Also, I had an old Kenmore that I used for piercing stacks of paper instead of the papers or the fabric. My newer machines won't let me do that as they have a sensor that says the bobbin is empty & won't stitch until I put in another one. Oh the joys & heartaches of computerized machines.

Blog Entries
    You don't get them with your land phone anymore either. When I got mine they wanted $25.00 for one.

Blog Entries
    Thanks girls for all your info..I was cleaning out a cabinet, and had a bunch of yellow pages phone books...and yes I still have a land line...AND I did keep a current white and yellow page phone book...you just never know when you might need one...Houston, Texas still puts out these books, but they are quite small now...I still have a Sears and JCPenny's catalog too...guess I might be a little on the hoarder side..., one for each year my granddaughters were born...they are 31 and 29 now...they get a kick out of looking at them...also one for when my great grandson was born in 2000...Saved calendars the years they were born also...
    Years ago I found a calendar for my sister, the year she was born, 1950...did I mention I like old stuff...I have a room full of sewing things from the past...which makes nice decorations for my sewing room walls..get a lot of compliments on them....now back to the phone books...again, thanks for taking the time to answer my post...love my Quilting Board...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast