Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Using polyester lining fabric for quilted Christmas stockings... >

Using polyester lining fabric for quilted Christmas stockings...

Using polyester lining fabric for quilted Christmas stockings...

Old 08-04-2019, 11:58 AM

Default Using polyester lining fabric for quilted Christmas stockings...

I recently bought plain red and green polyester for lining Christmas stockings. After I gave them both the burn test to be sure, I decided they are too dangerous in case of fire, and tossed them to the Goodwill bin...Now I wonder what the clever members on QB would think about that..
I hoped that it was cotton, until I did the test, to finish with a Hard lump in the sink..I have tested a lot of cotton this way, that burns down to ashes, to show me it is cotton.. Quite a difference in the burn test..
I just have a bad feeling about using on Christmas stockings. I would rather invest a bit more, and know the lining is cotton...as you would if this were used in a baby quilt.
Wonder what your opinion is about this project... Thanks...

Last edited by QuiltnNan; 08-04-2019 at 12:06 PM. Reason: shouting/all caps
Old 08-04-2019, 12:04 PM
Power Poster

Yeah, I'd go with the cotton too. When washed (if ever...) the poly will behave differently from the outer cotton.
Old 08-04-2019, 02:53 PM

I wouldn't worry too much about it, how much washing is a Christmas stocking going to get? And likewise, unless the kids are smokers it wouldn't be anything I would worry about. But, LOL at burn tests. I do them all the time since I buy most of my fabrics at the thrift store. Some things are pretty spectacular when they are melting and how fast they go...

A lot of it would depend on the stocking itself. Obviously a quality product deserves a quality lining.

A number of years ago I decided I would make beautiful stockings for each member of the family. I started working away on them. And then I realized that my family wasn't going to understand or realize the awesomeness of my workmanship and that I could buy equally pretty and possibly much more detailed than I would do, close to as well made, for less than I could buy materials if I waited for the after-Christmas sales. And the good thing is that I wouldn't have to care about how they were treated or if they were kept.

Maybe I'll finish one of them for my first grand child who will be born this year, my favorite is still in the sewing room, top box on the rolling unit. The stocking part is pieced of diamond shaped red and green satin with a gold bead stitched onto each intersection. I was going to make a curved white top, like a jester's cap for the cuff and finish it off with little bells on the edge of each point.

I did make a number of simple drawstring bags and we use those for presents within the family. You just find a bag the right side and make some sort of label.
Old 08-04-2019, 03:29 PM

I made all my kids and grands stockings years ago. Used the prequilted fabric for the lining to give them body. The cuff was cross stitch design to match the fabric design. As the older ones are getting married and having babies the requests are coming in for stocking for the additions. 2 spouses and 3 new babies this year.
Old 08-04-2019, 07:19 PM

Hi Seattle..I'm making these stockings for craft show... My concern is using the polyester. Fire is so much on my mind I guess, that I was concerned about using poly fabric for kids...But I think you are all right...No reason for them to be hung over a fireplace... Guess I'll go get the fabric out of the Goodwill bin :>)
Your description for your creations sounds like Fun stuff.. I'll find a pic of the one I did with some small squares..I have some nice Christmas jelly roll [ATTACH=CONFIG]615661[/ATTACH]strips to continue making them..

great! Looks like I got attach stuff...maybe it works...
Attached Thumbnails 001.jpg  

Last edited by QuiltnNan; 08-05-2019 at 01:59 AM. Reason: shouting/all caps
Old 08-04-2019, 07:24 PM

Good, except I should have known to turn it to left...or right!