Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Using Polyester thread to quilt? >

Using Polyester thread to quilt?

Using Polyester thread to quilt?

Old 12-30-2011, 08:15 AM

Be careful with polyester threads when pressing. I've had some that melted...when I accidentally used a cotton setting on my iron.
Old 12-30-2011, 08:32 AM

The quilt I just finished on my DM has Isacord poly, Sulky rayon, C & C poly covered cotton, and Guterman poly in its FMQ. All worked fine and I'm sure will continue to do so. I was more concerned over color than content. When piecing, I use any of the Guterman poly in the bobbin to save space and either that or some of my stash of C & C for the top. Some Connecting Threads cotton, too, but it's a little linty. I've heard the new C & C poly covered poly isn't as good as the old - it stretches, but I haven't tried any yet. If the thread tests strong, I don't worry about it.
Old 12-30-2011, 08:52 AM

I use both and have been pleased with both, but my machine stays cleaner and runs smoother with poly.
Old 12-30-2011, 09:09 AM

I love that on the Superior site about why the whole family does something with the roast. Too funny. Take a minute and go read it.
That's about the same as not ever touching the bobbin tension. We are creatures of habit.
I use it all to quilt with and haven't had any quilts ripping apart. Sometimes, I really like the look of the noncotton thread on a quilt. Give it a try, or not, it's all up to you.
Old 12-30-2011, 02:34 PM

Originally Posted by jcrow View Post
I was at a quilt shop a few weeks ago and the girl there said I should use polyester thread to quilt. Well, I only have used cotton since my fabric is all cotton. But I bought a lot of polyester thread because I thought she knew better (working in a quilt shop) and now another gal told me NOT to use polyester thread, that it would rip my cotton fabric. I have all this beautiful polyester thread and I don't know if I should use it or not. Any suggestions?
this is one of those 'cotton company myths'....they say that the poly thread will outlast the cotton fabric, so what? if the cotton fabric is gone, your quilt is gone, they say you should use the same...cotton fabric means cotton thread....why? give me a good reason...matchy matchy is not a sufficient reason. Poly will melt when ironed...really? I've been using poly thread and fabric for 30 years and have never melted anything since the ugly doubleknit floral fabric left our world...and that was probably some sort of freudian slip to get rid of it.... never had any poly thread melt...most of it is cotton covered and it's pretty tough...i press every seam from both sides and never had a problem. These choices, like the color, fabric type, color combinations sizes we make, who we give to and who we don't...are all personal...and all right....if you like cotton thread....great! I'm happy to quilt in cotton for you if you choose....if you like only poly....super! no problem...will quilt in poly....but for my sewing, i look at the color....the color is important to me in terms of how it blends with the fabrics around it, either camoflaging and disappearing, or it contrasts perfectly, setting off whatever i'm trying to show off on the quilt top. the content is simply not important to me and i suspect not important to lots of people. you will have to choose for yourself after reading all the various reasons other people made their choice and then adding your own experiences to this information. good luck... i know you will reach the right decision for you..........
Old 12-30-2011, 03:30 PM

I use both. Last night, I was using a cotton to free motion quilt my Dad's throw...but when I'm doing Downey's Quilt's for Kids, I usually will use the poly.
Old 12-30-2011, 03:42 PM

When I see posts like this I think, "Oh NO, someone ran into a self-appointed quilt sheriff." Personally I don't believe that our quilting ancestors worried about what brand or style they used, they were just happy if they found enough stuff of some kind to finish a quilt. If you're lucky enough to see some of those quilts they're beautiful. Use what you have and don't worry about it. Quilting is to enjoyed so don't sweat the small stuff. Use the best things you can afford and improvise the rest.
Old 12-30-2011, 03:53 PM

I'm glad to see this thread as I am still so very hazy about thread and needles. One quilt teacher said to only use cotton thread as she had seen seams just pop when she used poly. What really has me concerned is that our local Bernina dealer said DO NOT use thread by Connecting Threads (there is a certain brand by them that I can't think of right now) as it has a coating on it and he can tell when he cleans the machines and charges $20 extra for scraping the coating off. Come to find out, this is exactly the thread that my quilting teacher uses. The Bernina dealer is very opinionated and thinks he knows best about a lot of things but- does he know best about this?
Old 12-30-2011, 04:07 PM

I use cotton on all my machines with no trouble and I like the results
Old 12-30-2011, 05:30 PM

I actually have better luck with poly thread than I do cotton with my fmq...and believe me I have tried lots of different brands of both! I also make sure and "match" my threads, meaning if using cotton on top, I use same in bobbin and vice-versa. That being said, I do use cotton thread, too...just depends on what I am making...