Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Using Press n' Seal >

Using Press n' Seal

Using Press n' Seal

Old 11-25-2010, 07:24 PM

Okay, I'll answer the question as to what Press N Seal is used for. You trace your quilting pattern on it. Then you stick the Press N Seal to the quilt and quilt it. Then you just peel the Press N Seal off. Your quilting is done and the fabric is clear of markings. Hope this helps you to understand.
As for the sticky needle... Whatever it is they use to make the Press N Seal stick to things, leaves a little stickiness on the needle after you have used it a while.
Old 11-25-2010, 09:09 PM

I found that Press N Seal made my needle sticky as well as the bottom of my hopping foot. I now use tissue paper for "marking" quilts. It works better for me.
Old 11-26-2010, 12:35 PM
Cyn

Wow that's cool. I never would have thought of that! Thanks
Originally Posted by maine ladybug
Okay, I'll answer the question as to what Press N Seal is used for. You trace your quilting pattern on it. Then you stick the Press N Seal to the quilt and quilt it. Then you just peel the Press N Seal off. Your quilting is done and the fabric is clear of markings. Hope this helps you to understand.
As for the sticky needle... Whatever it is they use to make the Press N Seal stick to things, leaves a little stickiness on the needle after you have used it a while.
Old 11-26-2010, 01:02 PM

I have heard that press and seal can really do a number on gummy up your machine. I don't know if it is true or not but I personally am afraid to try it.

Judy in Michigan
Old 11-26-2010, 01:18 PM

Originally Posted by judykay
I have heard that press and seal can really do a number on gummy up your machine. I don't know if it is true or not but I personally am afraid to try it.

Judy in Michigan
I don't think it's that big of a problem. I've used it and get my machine cleaned and oiled at least once a year. They have never said a thing about it gumming it up.
Old 11-26-2010, 02:52 PM

It's really cool to use! I have used it on my regular home sewing machines, & now I have a Viking Sapphire 830 on a Grave Mini Pinn frame. Haven't tried it on that setup yet, but I plan to. It's easier to remove if your fm stitching isn't too close together, so keep that in mind when using it, & it peels off like our skin does, when we get a sunburn. I never had a gummy problem, but I haven't used it that many times. Try it though, then decide for yourself!...
Old 11-26-2010, 03:11 PM

I take it press n seal is different to the cling wrap, or glad wrap that we get here in Australia?
Old 11-26-2010, 03:23 PM

Yes, it is a different product. When a friend was visiting last summer from Australia I showed her how to use it and she took some home with her.
Old 11-26-2010, 03:26 PM

Thanks...I guess we don't have it here? I'll have to look
Old 11-26-2010, 09:30 PM

To save $$ I use tracing paper to trace the design, machine sew over it without thread and then pin it where I want it and start quilting. I'm still learning to machine quilt and so far this has worked good for me.