Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Using scraps >

Using scraps

Using scraps

Old 05-28-2016, 10:50 AM
Power Poster

Controlled scrappy for me. I think, for a totally random scrappy, it's important to use very small pieces. When pieces are small enough, they seem to go with each other better.
Old 05-28-2016, 11:30 AM

It depends on what I'm doing. I often make crumb blocks (I call them slice n dice blocks) that don't appear to be all that controlled, but I like to put the blocks into modern quilts with lots of solid (usually lights that read as white or light neutral) color between the blocks. The quilt itself ends up looking pretty controlled even though the slice n dice blocks aren't.

Otherwise, I pay attention to value, scale of patterns, color, etc. while piecing the blocks, even when I'm making scrappy quilts. For me scrappy doesn't necessarily mean giving up design control, it just means using a wide variety of fabrics--and most of my scrappy quilts do in fact come from my scrap bins, but I have no problem supplementing them with other fabrics from my stash.

Rob
<object type="cosymantecnisbfw" cotype="cs" id="SILOBFWOBJECTID" style="width: 0px; height: 0px; display: block;"></object>
Old 05-28-2016, 12:32 PM
Power Poster

I lose the fun of scrap quilting if I try to control it. The most I will do is keep dark and lights in a good mix.
Old 05-28-2016, 12:54 PM

I like at least some control to the scrappy -- all reds (but a big variety) as center square etc. Also size of pieces matter if you are mixing jewel tones / brights with more subdued fabrics it is easier if they are small pieces. Don't toss a single big odd color in a section, put small pieces of that color or similar in three places or so.

I'd suggest making good use of a design wall, let the project sit and be viewed at different times. But try somethings outside your comfort zone, if one block stands out in a not good way put it on the back.
Old 05-28-2016, 01:15 PM

I also like controlled scrappy quilts. Or if they aren't so controlled, lots of a consistent color or fabric separating the scraps helps. Someone said in a post recently that lots of colors and patterns in a quilt make brown. That is so true, IMHO. A too-scrappy quilt looks a little too muddy. I know because I've made that quilt! LOL. So I often start with a inspiration fabric, some print where I like its color scheme. I may or may not use it in the quilt, but I know if I generally use its colors, I'll end up with a scheme that I like.

Sometimes something in the wrong place is interesting, but too much of it is disruptive. So I think a goal to keep in mind is do something that your son criticizes ;-). That, in the grand scheme of a well-designed quilt is a good thing, IMHO.
Old 05-28-2016, 02:37 PM
Power Poster

I am completely random in my scrappiness. The individual blocks may not look that good, but when everything is sewn together and quilted it's great. (IMHO)
Old 05-28-2016, 03:46 PM

Take a look at the huge number of scrappy free patterns on Quiltville.com. Bonnie Hunter does both totally scrappy and controlled scrappy. I do like it a little better if there is some control. But I have expanded what I include in various categories by studying Bonnie's quilts.
Old 05-28-2016, 03:58 PM

I just recently went through my scraps for the first time. I cut 2-1/2" squares. I am planning on doing a total random scrappy. I might actually put them in a bin and just grab them blindly out. Not sure if I am going to like it or not. Its going to be an adventure

I can say that I found I had a large number of squares that seemed similar and the same values. I separated them. I think I will make 2 quilts. one from the similar values and one with all of the other randoms.

Not really sure about this either... but I think I will enjoy doing the scrappy without any control If I am disappointed it will be a utility quilt
Old 05-28-2016, 04:13 PM

It depends upon the pattern. Sometimes value matters a great deal in a pattern. For me, scrappy means that I use my scraps, not that I pick randomly out of a bag. Although I have seen some patterns that would lend themselves to the latter method, and I agree with an earlier comment that if your fabric pieces are very small then you are more likely to get away with going totally random.
Old 05-28-2016, 04:22 PM

Well, thank goodness for sons!

My first attempt at scrappy quilting looked a mess. I asked someone how hers turned out so nice, and she said she separates scraps into brights, pastels, civil war, etc. Then she pulls from one category. Worked well. I am doing that from now on.

My last scrappy was 16 square blocks. I tried to do it random. But I wish I had put a square of each fabric into a pile for each block, it would have been easier than trying to spread them evenly over the quilt.