Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Using a sheet for backing of quilt? >

Using a sheet for backing of quilt?

Using a sheet for backing of quilt?

Old 05-22-2010, 05:11 PM

I use sheets always, and for the white fabric backgrounds and such. I think the best is 200 thread count, good quality cotton. A higher thread count makes it harder, not easier. Good quilting fabric is about 70-85 thread count, to give you some comparison, so a nice crisp 200 count is the easiest to work with. And sateen is slippery, and frays more easily.

I go to Ross or TJMaxx or Marshalls, and I like Ralph Lauren or Tommy Hilfiger solids.
Old 05-22-2010, 05:14 PM

Originally Posted by dsb38327
I used sheets for lining on the curtains in my sun room. It was the best thing since sliced bread. I cut head to foot on most of them (top to bottom or bottom to top) I guess this kept me cutting on the grain because I was trying to get the most mileage I could out of the last sheet and laid one panel ?wonky?. It fought with me to the end but I accepted it as a victory for myself and it is happily hung up on the window.

(Do you think the 250 thread count was the reason my needle was making that 'thunk, thunk, thunk' sound?)
Usually that's a sign you're using the wrong needle for the fabric, or your needle is dull and needs replacing.
Old 05-22-2010, 05:16 PM
Pam

oh, but the sateens are yummy!!!
Old 05-22-2010, 05:26 PM

Originally Posted by Pam
oh, but the sateens are yummy!!!
They are, and I use them, but you need to be prepared. The crisp 200 count are lovely to piece with. The back of my "gift to myself" quilt is a yellow sateen sheet, and it feels soooo soft.
Old 05-22-2010, 06:00 PM

I use sheets all of the time for my machine quilted quick quilts or for quilts that will see frequent washing. Often they are the 200 thread sheets and they wash and wear well. It is no problem to quilt them on the machine and it's great not to have to piece a back. I bought twenty sheets this past week for conmmunity quilts for $100 and you couldn't buy much yardage for that price as quilting fabric in Canada starts at $10 a metre unless you find a fantastic sale. If you're still not convinced, use a sheet on your next community quilt project and see what you think. I always try to buy King size sheets so I'll have extra sheeting to make matching pillowcases which are great to use with your quilt or use to store your quilt.
Old 05-22-2010, 06:07 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Shelbie
I use sheets all of the time for my machine quilted quick quilts or for quilts that will see frequent washing. Often they are the 200 thread sheets and they wash and wear well. It is no problem to quilt them on the machine and it's great not to have to piece a back. I bought twenty sheets this past week for conmmunity quilts for $100 and you couldn't buy much yardage for that price as quilting fabric in Canada starts at $10 a metre unless you find a fantastic sale. If you're still not convinced, use a sheet on your next community quilt project and see what you think. I always try to buy King size sheets so I'll have extra sheeting to make matching pillowcases which are great to use with your quilt or use to store your quilt.
Great idea!!! I will borrow this one for making pillowcases and quilt bags D:D:D
Old 05-22-2010, 06:29 PM

Wow - this is the first time I've read comments about using sheets for backing (and piecing) and only read GOOD comments about the sheets.

I've 'heard' some say the weave is different on the sheet making it more difficult to quilt (hand or machine).

Guess you ladies disagree. I'll have to try it myself to get an opinion (but I love yours...cause I've been picking up 100% cotton sheets at resale/garage sales lately.)

Thanks for your opinions!
Old 05-22-2010, 07:21 PM
Power Poster

Shelbie, good tipI I always have extra fabric, too!
Old 05-22-2010, 07:42 PM

Originally Posted by quiltinghere
Wow - this is the first time I've read comments about using sheets for backing (and piecing) and only read GOOD comments about the sheets.

I've 'heard' some say the weave is different on the sheet making it more difficult to quilt (hand or machine).

Guess you ladies disagree. I'll have to try it myself to get an opinion (but I love yours...cause I've been picking up 100% cotton sheets at resale/garage sales lately.)

Thanks for your opinions!
I've not used sheets before, but I've not read any reasons why I shouldn't that persuaded me NOT to. I understand the philosophy behind the thread count and hand quilting. But, since I don't have to worry about hand quilting unless someone can give me a good reason why not to use them then one of my projects will incorporate a sheet backing. I've read lots of "I've been told not to" and "it's not a good idea". But, I tend to need concrete reasons WHY before I believe it. Yeah, I'm a rebel

:thumbup:
Old 05-22-2010, 07:45 PM

I use sheets all the time. They are cheaper that some fabric and easy to sew through. Yard sales are great places to find a variety of colors and sizes. Go ahead and try it!!