Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
using table for layering quilt >

using table for layering quilt

using table for layering quilt

Old 10-31-2011, 05:21 PM

I also have layered many a quilt on my carpeted sewing room floor with great success and very few wrinkles or tucks afterward - only thing I do different is I use masking tape to hold the backing in place, taking care to keep it taught but not stretched.
Old 10-31-2011, 05:26 PM

I lay my quilt on the bed in my sewing room laying the three layers upside down with the backing up, smooth that out and pin then turn over and pin starting at the center, sew the seam from top to bottom and continue to the outside and then start over and do the other side. Does this make sense?
Old 10-31-2011, 05:31 PM

Originally Posted by paulswalia
I use a carpeted floor all the time! Lay your backing down, wrong side up and pin it to the carpet in the corners and a couple of places along the sides, making sure it is flat and tight. Layer your batting and then the top, smoothing out each layer. THEN (this is how it works), slide a cutting mat on the carpet, under the backing and use the mat as something to pin against so you don't catch your carpet. I just did it last night - works great!
Wonderful idea, thank you so much. I was always afraid to try using carpeted floor. Now I just need to find a way to keep my cat off the floor after I vacuum long enough to put the quilt together. She sheds like crazy. I have a layer of cat hair everywhere.
Old 10-31-2011, 05:55 PM

The last two quilts, I thought about putting tables up and pinning amd basting on the patio and then I picked up the top and batting and backing and took it around the corner to a longarm quilter. it was alot easier
Old 10-31-2011, 06:53 PM

Here is the board method that is posted in the tutorial section. http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-91013-1.htm
Old 10-31-2011, 07:52 PM
Sis

Location: Born a SE Ohio Buckeye,now a Middle Tennessee Volunteer

I purchased a sheet of 'whiteboard'at a building supply & had it cut the length of a full/double bed. I use the small piece if I need a small extension on the dining table.The larger piece on the bed when I'm layering/pinning/basting a quilt(using the large clip method)or if I have a project in progress(thus freeing up the dining table. The bed is waist high so eases back strain or I put bed lifts (found at Wal-mart)under the 4 bed feet. Hope this makes sense.
Old 11-02-2011, 09:35 AM

Originally Posted by fudge and furs View Post
Good Morning. I have same problem for very large quilts.

I bought a large vinyl flannel table cloth, lay in on carpet flannel side down.
Adheres to carpet very well. Also when new cloth I run it in my dryer first, low temp, to get rid of wrinkles. Watch it carefully so not to get too hot. Use safety pins to hold quilt down smoothing all the way. Works pretty well for me and not so hard on the knees.
A Helper would be good. I don't have anyone to help so it takes longer.
Good idea - I've got one of those table cloths. Thankyou.
Old 11-02-2011, 09:36 AM

Originally Posted by JENNR8R View Post
Harriet Hargrave recommends doing it on a table. She describes it in detail in her book "Heirloom Machine Quilting."

She recommends taping a toothpick on the centers of the top edges of the table. You can then feel through the layers to know exactly where the center is to place your sandwich layers.
Another good idea! Thankyou
Old 11-02-2011, 09:40 AM

Originally Posted by Wonnie View Post
I have the same problem but I found this site and it looks like it will work great for both of us. See what you think:

http://www.kathykwylie.com/blog/2011...t-in-sections/
This is a really clear explanation - thanks for the link.
Old 11-02-2011, 09:43 AM

Thankyou all for all the great ideas and links here. When I can face unpinning my quilt, I'm going to feel more confident that next time I can put it together and get good results.