Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Using templates.....need some help! >

Using templates.....need some help!

Using templates.....need some help!

Old 01-09-2018, 06:04 AM

Originally Posted by feline fanatic View Post
The fabrics your are using for this are so beautiful! This quilt is going to be stunning when completed and I have a feeling no one but you is going to notice a few chopped points. This quilt is on my bucket list but way down. I have the book as well so I am going to take a look at it. I'm wondering if this might be easier to PP? It shouldn't be too terribly difficult to draw out the units for PP. But it will be a time consuming task if you have no way to photo copy your pattern once you get it right.

On your second picture I see you don't have any seam allowance showing on the two units that are not yet attached to the Square in a Square. Are they folded under or is that how the unit is coming out? Or am I mistaken and they are attached and you are doing set in seams?
Thank you Feline. I sewed the side pieces just far enough to check my seam allowances on the second pic. These are just scrap pieces....I have a collection of Winter Gathering fabrics for DIL’s quilt.
I enjoy a challenge-keeps my brain active! I think I have figured out the dimensions of all of the unfinished sections, so I will give this another try. Don has sent mesome measurements as well, so hopefully I can get this figured out. There are several quiltswhen I google this pattern, so it must be doable! Those pesky corner blocks now seem to be the culprit.
Old 01-10-2018, 06:36 AM

That is going to be a gorgeous quilt! Keep posting so we can enjoy your progress.
Old 01-10-2018, 06:42 AM

When I was working on my farmers wife quilt, several blocks used odd sized templates so there was no substituting with rulers. I started cutting the paper templates out and put double stick tape one the back of them. I would place them on the fabric where I wanted them and then use my ruler on top of the template to cut them out accurately. This worked really well and was an inexpensive solution to the problem.
Barb in Kansas enjoying the sunshine today ☀️
Old 01-10-2018, 08:54 AM

I may have met my match with this block. Feline was kind enough to give me advice on how to draft a paper pieced pattern...not sure I can accomplish it, but I will give it a try. Need to take a break from this project for a day or two and work on something else. But I will post any updatesin case someone else wants to tackle this pattern....it is a beauty!
Old 01-10-2018, 08:55 AM

Originally Posted by bcsews View Post
When I was working on my farmers wife quilt, several blocks used odd sized templates so there was no substituting with rulers. I started cutting the paper templates out and put double stick tape one the back of them. I would place them on the fabric where I wanted them and then use my ruler on top of the template to cut them out accurately. This worked really well and was an inexpensive solution to the problem.
Barb in Kansas enjoying the sunshine today ☀️
Thanks for the tip, Barb! I will use your method if I get the courage to try this again!
Old 01-10-2018, 10:10 AM

Beautiful block!