Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Using up scraps >

Using up scraps

Using up scraps

Old 08-22-2011, 09:44 AM

I totally agree. I need to be on a strict budget at this time. I signed up for this class and used my store credit to pay for most of it so it cost me $2; good deal. At another store I had a gift card so I figured I go there to buy the fabric for this class; good deal, staying on budget. I went to the store and picked out fabric and was really happy. I then saw a display on the coffee table that said the thread buy 1 get 2 free. I inquired and found out that special was for something special they'd had the night before and forgot to take the sign down but they'd honor it. Well how could I not get thread. It's a brand that I really like and is normally about $11 a spool. I ended up with about $140 worth of thread but only spent 42. Yes, on one hand I blew my budget but look how much I saved. It's hard to be good.
Old 08-22-2011, 10:05 AM

Got any white sheets you can spare? Or try the thrift store for some. I just sorted through the linen closet and found that I had many more sets of bed sheets than I would ever use so pulled all the 100% cotton white ones out to use for quilting. Doesn't matter if they get used on the piecing or for the backs but at least they are serving a useful purpose. Ann in TN
Old 08-22-2011, 10:13 AM

"Well I bought the bolt of white on white! And 4 yards of a border fabric...well it was pretty and I needed it, I did,"

Of course you needed it! And you saved a lot of $$ using the coupon.
Old 08-22-2011, 11:21 AM

Ann 912 love your avatar!
Old 08-22-2011, 11:24 AM

Originally Posted by amma
But you can use that bolt for more scrappy quilts too :D:D:D
See this is my thinking also. I love scrappy set on white. But I also like white on white, it adds interest without the busy that you get anyway.
Old 08-22-2011, 11:45 AM

I am on a self imposed fabric diet too. But I allow myself to buy fabric IF I have a specific project in mind and the fabric MUST fall into to one of the following catagories that start with te letter "B." Such as Backround, Borders, Binding, Backing and/or Batting. I love to do Mystery Quilts but I can only do them if I have ALL of the required fabric. So far this has worked out real well for me.
Old 08-22-2011, 12:19 PM

I think that truly the only want to get rid of scraps is to pack them up in an envelope or box and ship them off to someone else.

It seems like when you making something with them, all you do is create more scraps. I've been working on scrappies all year. I think I have almost 40 quilt tops made with various scrapa and I still have half of a 120 liter back of 1.5" strips, a reusable grocery bag of 2.5" squares, a 120 liter garbage bag of 2" strips, etc. Sigh. It's kind of fun, though to see what I can do with the scraps. I've been trying to whittle down my collection a bit. A lot is nice, but too much is depressing.

I'm teaching a lady in the area who sews how to make quilt tops in order to earn a bit of money and she saw my 1.5" strip quilt top. She loved it. I may offer her my bag of strips and see what she comes up with. :)
Old 08-22-2011, 12:51 PM

Originally Posted by justflyingin
I think that truly the only want to get rid of scraps is to pack them up in an envelope or box and ship them off to someone else.

It seems like when you making something with them, all you do is create more scraps. I've been working on scrappies all year. I think I have almost 40 quilt tops made with various scrapa and I still have half of a 120 liter back of 1.5" strips, a reusable grocery bag of 2.5" squares, a 120 liter garbage bag of 2" strips, etc. Sigh. It's kind of fun, though to see what I can do with the scraps. I've been trying to whittle down my collection a bit. A lot is nice, but too much is depressing.

I'm teaching a lady in the area who sews how to make quilt tops in order to earn a bit of money and she saw my 1.5" strip quilt top. She loved it. I may offer her my bag of strips and see what she comes up with. :)

I had this vision in my head of getting rid of all this collection by sewing them, and then having the storage for other things. I would like to be able to just have enough fabric on had for what I'm working on. But I buy alot for the things I sell locally. So i dont know if I'll ever get there but its a goal. I cant give my fabric away but I can give a quilt away, does that make any sense?
Old 08-22-2011, 01:58 PM

Location: in front of this dang computer instead of my Bernina!(Naples, Florida)

Hey, someone has to keep this economy running! Go forth and shop!!
Old 08-22-2011, 04:03 PM

Your fabric sounds like my thread...I just bought $120.00 worth of long arm thread, got ready to do a quilt that's in the frame and...you guessed it! No where is the right color of thread to be found! So I guess my choices go back to the old stand-bys: black, cream or white...Where is the LQS with the right color when you need them? Just sayin'....