Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Using Vintage/Retro Lace, Embroidery and Crocheting >

Using Vintage/Retro Lace, Embroidery and Crocheting

Using Vintage/Retro Lace, Embroidery and Crocheting

Old 03-24-2019, 05:26 AM

Default Using Vintage/Retro Lace, Embroidery and Crocheting

I have been given a number of vintage and retro embroidered tablecloths, runners, crocheted trims and doilies etc and plan to cut them up to make cushion covers for a local charity to sell.

They have all been washed and ironed but before I start cutting them up have you any advice on how to prepare the various pieces. I’m worried that a cut piece of crocheting will fall to pieces the next time it is washed. Also, would it be ok to repair damaged fabric?

Any suggestions on how to progress with this project would be gratefully received.

Last edited by Moira in N.E. England; 03-24-2019 at 05:38 AM.
Old 03-24-2019, 06:08 AM

Before you cut into the lace, check out Cindy Needham. She stitches vintage laces onto linen and makes some beautiful quilts and pillows. She spoke to my Guild and made me wish I had hung onto my mother's laces. I think she does cut them sometimes but the pieces I remember the best are entire hand made laces sewn on like applique. Beautiful work.
Old 03-24-2019, 06:23 AM

Originally Posted by toverly View Post
Before you cut into the lace, check out Cindy Needham. She stitches vintage laces onto linen and makes some beautiful quilts and pillows. She spoke to my Guild and made me wish I had hung onto my mother's laces. I think she does cut them sometimes but the pieces I remember the best are entire hand made laces sewn on like applique. Beautiful work.
I will do - thank you for your suggestion.
Old 03-24-2019, 09:34 AM

I would not use them as a cushion that someone would sit on. This would be very rough on the vintage laces and etc. Make a wall hanging or a quilt. I've cut plenty of them up. I do it gentle like. Just make sure you sew the cut side where it's been cut. I've posted a few pictures of my work. I used the book called "Hanky Panky". Good luck.
Old 03-24-2019, 09:40 AM

I found the picture I posted. I think the block is 14 or 15" . Still need to sew it all down. Thinking about embellishing with embroidery thread, beads and etc. Have 15 of these blocks.
https://www.quiltingboard.com/attach...6-img_0874.jpg
Old 03-24-2019, 10:21 AM

Originally Posted by sewingitalltogether View Post
I found the picture I posted. I think the block is 14 or 15" . Still need to sew it all down. Thinking about embellishing with embroidery thread, beads and etc. Have 15 of these blocks.
https://www.quiltingboard.com/attach...6-img_0874.jpg
A beauty block Gail - hope mine looks half as pretty!
Old 03-24-2019, 12:47 PM

In a quest to use up a box of family embroidered items, I ironed “wonder under” to the back of the work, then cut out the design & ironed it to new flour sack dish towels. Finished it with decorative machine stitch around edge. To me, this was better than taking it to charity shop.
Old 03-24-2019, 01:11 PM
Power Poster

Before cutting any lace, zig zag stitch to hold the edge to keep it from unraveling. For pillow tops, I would sew the pillow edges with the lace over and then trim off the extra.
Old 03-24-2019, 08:07 PM

Originally Posted by tranum View Post
In a quest to use up a box of family embroidered items, I ironed “wonder under” to the back of the work, then cut out the design & ironed it to new flour sack dish towels. Finished it with decorative machine stitch around edge. To me, this was better than taking it to charity shop.
Please post some pictures. I would love to see them. I have lots from my mom, I wouold hate to cut them up but would like to do something with them and have seen what Cindy Needham has done. She does stunningly beautiful wall hanging quilts out of the linens.
Old 03-25-2019, 01:00 AM

Originally Posted by tranum View Post
I’ll have to see if I can get this in the UK, or something similar.