Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Using a walking foot for quilting >

Using a walking foot for quilting

Using a walking foot for quilting

Old 03-02-2019, 06:34 PM

Default Using a walking foot for quilting

I am a novice at patchwork and quilting, but have just finished two place mats that I am really pleased with. I wanted to quilt them myself and through research found I needed a walking foot for my sewing machine. I have fitted the foot successfully but am finding I cannot get an even tension on my stitching. No matter how I alter it I cannot achieve the correct tension. Can anyone tell me what I maybe doing wrong? I am so looking forward to finishing these and moving onto a new project.
Old 03-02-2019, 07:04 PM

Welcome to the board! I can't tell you what you are doing wrong, though I'm sure many others have lots of ideas. I personally don't use a walking foot to quilt. I, too, could never get the tension/look right. I do all my quilting with either my 1/4 inch or general foot! I do a lot of echo quilting, cross hatching, straight line, stitch in the ditch, and meandering.
Old 03-02-2019, 07:21 PM

Wow! Thanks Anniedeb so much for your suggestions. I will try using my normal feet and see if I have the puckering problems that I have read can happen. Fingers crossed!
Old 03-02-2019, 07:29 PM
Power Poster

do you have a teflon (plastic) foot? that helps sometimes. and check again on the walking foot problem. is it in correctly? i hate changing my tensions and try never to have to do that. usually no problems arise. even with Free motion quilting, thank goodness. Good luck.
Old 03-02-2019, 07:35 PM
Power Poster

Welcome, a walking foot helps to keep the layers in a quilt sandwich advancing at the same rate. Over a large quilt a walking foot is helpful but not as necessary for smaller projects. Try quilting with just your regular foot on your placemats.
Old 03-02-2019, 08:56 PM

Welcome to the board! One thing you didn't mention is whether you have the walking foot made especially for your machine or a generic one. I've found that generic feet often don't work as well as the ones made specifically for the machine. Also, I find it a bit hard on some machines to get the walking foot on correctly. I have to get the instructions out every time. That might be something to check.
Old 03-02-2019, 09:11 PM

Welcome to the QB.

Tartan's suggestion is a good one, no doubt about that.

I will take it a little further and suggest that you use two fat quarters with a piece of batting in between to practice quilting on before you quilt the place mats. I only suggest that because you like the place mats so much. Learn from whatever mistakes you make on your practice piece. Then quilt the place mats.
Old 03-03-2019, 03:33 AM
Power Poster

Welcome from western NY and happy quilting
Old 03-03-2019, 03:41 AM

Welcome to the QB from Maine...I hope you have resolved your tension issues. I liked cathyvv’s suggestion to practice on a separate piece before doing your placemats.
Old 03-03-2019, 04:55 AM

Yes, your regular presser foot will be just fine for your placemat project. I would use a grided pattern to quilt. The suggestion to layer two pieces of fabric with batting to practice on before starting on your project is a great idea. You can throw your mistakes (if you make some) in the trash rather than have to rip them out. It is better to be safe and more confident than to be discouraged by problems.