Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Using white in a quilt? >

Using white in a quilt?

Using white in a quilt?

Old 05-16-2011, 03:59 PM

Originally Posted by ChristinaHall
FINALLY MY PICTURE IS UP:-) the navy blue u see I have not cut yet. I was wanting to see what u guys thought I should do first. I have already made all my 4 blocks.
the blue is great...go for it..... :thumbup:
Old 05-16-2011, 04:18 PM

White is my favorite accent color it can just pop the other fabrics. I do not prewash any of my fabrics but I only use QS fabrics. The LQS owner told me she has only had 1 fabric run in all her years of business. If you use a lesser expensive fabric it should be pre washed to be sure.

Nothing I have made with whites has ever faded or run. I wash all my quilts especially baby quilts after they are made and quilted.
Old 05-16-2011, 05:24 PM

i use white all the time & have never had a problem. I prewash w/Woolite & that's it. Have fun & good luck.
Old 05-16-2011, 07:34 PM

The quilt is coming along so but sure. I have my squares sewed in to sets of twos & stacked up for the next sew. Some how I got 2 of my blocks turned upside down:-)

I did not add any white to the quilt. I am however going to take the gold used in the 4 patches and use it as a large border since he went and bought a bigger bed.

I would like to get it as close to a 80 X 100 as I can, But I have to tell u I have now idea how big I can go on my new quilter. I know my frame will hold a King size But I only have a 9 inch throat to work with.

I seen my nephew tonight and I told him his gift I bought him was no longer on back order so it should be in soon...I am such a liar!
Old 05-16-2011, 07:39 PM

I forgot something! I was wanting to try turning my final 4 squares around to try another layout but if I do the Navy fabric with the WV will have some upside down.

I will lay it out and take a picture to post on here to see if anyone likes it.

Even know I am making the quilt by myself this site makes me feel like I am sewing with friends:-)
Old 05-18-2011, 08:23 AM

After reading all the posts, I can see that you are going with the navy squares.

I've put white in many of my baby quilts. Only had one occasion where the red ran into the white. That stopped after the first washing (with a color catcher).

One tip that I have for using white ----

BEFORE you sandwich with backing and batting, check the back of quilt for loose threads. They have a tendancy to show through the white. That also may happen if a colored seam is longer that the white seam when it HAD to be pressed to the abutting white piece.
Old 05-20-2011, 03:58 PM

ihave used white in many quilts, muslin, kona, or a white on white tone just make sure you wash the material first especially the color fabic you are using and watch it in the rinse o make sure the water runs clear
Old 05-21-2011, 04:43 PM

I would throw in some white squares and some yellow ones also, being the brave soul that I am.
Old 05-21-2011, 05:56 PM

That quilt is really pretty. I am in the process of making a wv quilt also. I live in parkersburg,wv.