Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Utility Quilting >

Utility Quilting

Utility Quilting

Old 08-23-2013, 08:56 AM

Utility Quilting when I was growing up was what my Mom made on the farm--to keep us warm. She used scraps and put the layers together, but machine quilted the quilts to save time and energy, and to get them done for the coming Winter. They weren't the beautiful pieces of art work we see today. These were to actually be used every day, and to washed regularly. Oftentimes she made heavy quilts of old suits, wool dresses, ect. They were very heavy and we didn't like them as well. You could hardly turn over in bed because the wool quilts were so heavy! Mariah
Old 08-23-2013, 07:02 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by ghostrider View Post
We seem to have have two conversations going on here.

The OP asked about Utility Quilting (capital u), not Utility Quilts. The style of the actual stitching itself. These days, it doesn't matter what type of quilt it's used on. I've even seen it used on quilts hanging in shows.

Shakio is a different type of utility quilting (small u) that originated in Japan. Kantha, which originated in Bengal, is another type
I took it as someone doing utility quilting was making utility quilts -

As I also thought someone doing art quilting was creating art quilts
Old 08-23-2013, 07:40 PM

Yes, you are correct, I was referring to the actual stitching itself. However, this thread has been really educational for me and, hopefully, for others, too. I've enjoyed each and every reply, and thank each responder for their input.

Originally Posted by ghostrider View Post
We seem to have have two conversations going on here.

The OP asked about Utility Quilting (capital u), not Utility Quilts. The style of the actual stitching itself. These days, it doesn't matter what type of quilt it's used on. I've even seen it used on quilts hanging in shows.

Shakio is a different type of utility quilting (small u) that originated in Japan. Kantha, which originated in Bengal, is another type.
Old 08-24-2013, 12:52 AM

I am not familiar with the term utility quilting. I'll be watching this thread so I can find out.
Old 08-24-2013, 03:35 AM

The quilts I have seen with utility quilting have been quilts on display in quilt shops, and were very nicely done. This was several years ago when utility quilting caught on, and more quilters were doing it. It seems to have since died off a bit, and is not seen as much, but I like the look, and plan to use it eventually. The ones I have seen were machine pieced with a normal stitch, and quilted by hand with the stitches about 1/4" apart. I don't remember what thread was used for the quilting.
Old 08-24-2013, 07:17 AM

I have seen utility stitching done on a quilt. You use a large needle and #8 pearl cotton thread. Personally, I love to hand quilt but I prefer the smaller stitches.
Old 08-24-2013, 04:43 PM

Originally Posted by ckcowl View Post
in different parts of the country different names are often used for blocks, quilt designs, techniques and types of quilts---here in my 'neck of the woods' the term "Utility Quilt" is the term placed on a quilt that is made for Every day use- used, laundered, *abused* often- Kids every day bed quilts, quilts used outside for picnics, car *travel* quilts- any quilt that is used/abused/loved a lot.... so -- over the years I have made lots of Utility Quilts. I make sure they are stitched well- going to hold up to what ever is going to happen to it. I do not put a ton of applique into a utility quilt- or other time consuming/extreme techniques (although generally they are still pretty neat-loved quilts) I do still use good materials- since I want them to hold up-last through the abuse they will have to go through.
I agree with you!
Old 08-24-2013, 05:04 PM

Originally Posted by GailG View Post
Kerry, I love your signature statement. Amen!
I agree with GailG! Your signature statement rocks.....Can't help you with your question though! Good luck.
Old 08-25-2013, 11:39 AM

Originally Posted by Lovequilting22 View Post
I agree with GailG! Your signature statement rocks.....Can't help you with your question though! Good luck.
Thank you both, GailG and Lovequilting22.