Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
vacation...quilt shops >

vacation...quilt shops

vacation...quilt shops

Old 10-04-2013, 05:23 AM

Default vacation...quilt shops

Well, vacation is over...we had a wonderful time in Tennessee in the Smoky Mountains...saw lots of beautiful country...and stopped at some wonderful shops along the way....The Whistling Chicken in Carthage, TX....Stitch-N-Frame at Vicksburg, Ms....Holloway's at Cosby, Tn... The Cherry Pit at Sevierville, Tn....there were a couple of others that I would have to pull out my receipts to see what they were...but, my absolute favorite of all was Mammaw's Thimble in Knoxville, Tn. I love 1930's reproduction fabrics and also Civil War fabrics and she had those in abundance plus much, much more. The time I spent in there was just a joy, as was the time spent chatting with the owner. I also went in to The Pattern Hutch in Pigeon Forge..wonderful shop for those doing punch needle, stitchery, etc. I bought a few fat quarters of wool felt for a pincushion I want to make and that was it in there though. I managed to make a dent in all shops and add a bit to their bottom line,lol.

Last edited by lizzies home; 10-04-2013 at 05:40 AM.
Old 10-04-2013, 10:07 AM

What a wonderful vacation! Thanks for the shops names. I have the AQS app on my phone but it doesn't always list all shops. My DH and I are headed that way in March.
Old 10-04-2013, 10:07 AM

Not AQS but Quilters Club of America app.
Old 10-04-2013, 02:51 PM

I've been to Mamaws Thimble also; It is a lovely little store. I had a very disappointing visit to the Cherry Pit and would never go back again even if it was the only quilt shop left in the world!!! Glad you found so many shops to stop at. That is my favorite part of vacationing by car!
Old 10-04-2013, 05:17 PM

Heading to Gatlinburg next week. Planning to visit some of these!
Old 10-05-2013, 03:06 AM

Enjoy!! We stayed out of gatlinburg proper and stuck to the outlying areas...gorgeous scenery. We want to go back and explore more of Tennessee...we didn't get to do the national civil war parks(govt shutdown).....and there are still many more quilt shops I want to do, lol........there is one in Greenback...some on the quilt trail........I also forgot to mention that I went to mountain stitches by Susan....small shop...but, nice......

Originally Posted by toverly View Post
What a wonderful vacation! Thanks for the shops names. I have the AQS app on my phone but it doesn't always list all shops. My DH and I are headed that way in March.
Old 10-05-2013, 03:08 AM

i could have spent half a day in mamaws thimble........sorry you had a bad experience in the other shop....they were very friendly and helpful.....

Originally Posted by auntpiggylpn View Post
I've been to Mamaws Thimble also; It is a lovely little store. I had a very disappointing visit to the Cherry Pit and would never go back again even if it was the only quilt shop left in the world!!! Glad you found so many shops to stop at. That is my favorite part of vacationing by car!
Old 10-05-2013, 03:11 AM

Have a wonderful time!! If y'all we're planning to do the national park drives I hope the govt. issues are solved by then.....even if not, there are still so many wonderful drives and things to keep you busy. The arts and crafts loop is nice. We enjoyed several shops on that

Originally Posted by Pam B View Post
Heading to Gatlinburg next week. Planning to visit some of these!
Old 10-05-2013, 03:28 AM

Originally Posted by lizzies home View Post
Enjoy!! We stayed out of gatlinburg proper and stuck to the outlying areas...gorgeous scenery. We want to go back and explore more of Tennessee...we didn't get to do the national civil war parks(govt shutdown).....and there are still many more quilt shops I want to do, lol........there is one in Greenback...some on the quilt trail........I also forgot to mention that I went to mountain stitches by Susan....small shop...but, nice......
Mountain stitches By Susan is a nice shop! Not my usual theme for fabrics but Susan and her husband were so nice; I wound up spending over an hour chatting with them. I loved a shop sample she had made up and she let me take pictures of it and she even gave me the pattern for free. I purchased the fabrics to make it too!!!
Old 10-05-2013, 06:30 AM

there was a sample made up that I fell in love with, but, there were quite a few people in the shop and I didn't get a chance to ask about it....I looked around for the pattern, but, couldn't find it...it was in the civil war fabric prints which are a favorite of mine.

UOTE=auntpiggylpn;6331375]Mountain stitches By Susan is a nice shop! Not my usual theme for fabrics but Susan and her husband were so nice; I wound up spending over an hour chatting with them. I loved a shop sample she had made up and she let me take pictures of it and she even gave me the pattern for free. I purchased the fabrics to make it too!!![/QUOTE]