Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Value for an older Bernina

I am going to see an older Bernina this afternoon. I don't have model no, etc. yet. The seller is asking $475. Would anyone have any idea if this is reasonable. I know that it is an embroidery machine. She thinks it may be 20 years old, but I didn't think that kind of machine was available that long ago.

I have never used a Bernina. Any suggestions for what I should look for will be appreciated.

I purchased Bernina's first embroidery machine the 350 20 years ago. I have had to put some repairs into in in the last few years but it still works well. I paid $1500 for it in the early 90's. It uses the PES format and only makes a 4x4 inch motif.

Banned
    model number is important. also need to check with an expert to see if designs are available for it. If current formats will work. However, the older machines are really workhorses and the price may be a good deal just as a regular machine.

Model is important. You can check recent eBay sales to help you decide what you feel is reasonable to pay.

Thanks everyone... It is an old model 830 - Ebay says from $200 to $700. After looking at the machine, I'm not sure it is worth anywhere near what she is asking. It needs cleaning for sure. And I am having trouble convincing myself that a machine that old is worth almost $500. It is not really an embroidery machine; just has a few embroidery stitches.

can't remember the model I used to have, 630? 830? sorry, but I traded it in (at Sew Rite Sewing Machine, no affiliation, just so happy with them) about 6 years ago and he gave me $650. My mom, who'd bought it 23 years earlier said that is what she had paid for it! And I NEVER had an unhappy moment with her, just was ready to buy myself a gift (present for finishing my doctorate)

I have a Bernina 1010, about 25 y/o, I recently had some simple repairs done to it and the shop asked if I wanted to sell it - for a $1000!!!! More than I paid, but I decided to keep it for a backup machines. Berninas tend to really hold value for a long time.

Those 830s are legend. If you think the condition is poor, haggle. But if it works and has all the essential components, I'd buy it.

I have the 830 and still love it. However, I don't know if that is a fair price. It will depend on condition and what attachments are still with it. Wish I could help more.

I paid $700 for a 930 in great condition with lots of accessories, feet, and bobbins, and the hard case. I had been recently serviced. I still think it was a great deal and it's a great machine. I use it less than I planned, since I now have several machines, but I wouldn't sell it. Just sayin'

The 830 is a very reliable machine. It is the first machine I bought when I started working and my then new husband was annoyed because he thought the $ I spent should have gone into house payments. Thirty five years later, I still have the machine and the husband and was recently offered $450 for it, sight unseen by a local Mennonite shop who have a waiting list of people wanting to buy.

Blog Entries
    Bernina is one of the few that holds their value. Ask the seller when was the last time she had it serviced. Be sure it is what you want. Call a dealer and ask question see if they have one in their shop and ask for the price.