Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: vanishing design wall

Most of the design walls I see are either a solid board mounted or a loose flannel piece but has anyone used a roll up kind? Does the pieces really stay on when moved?
    http://vanishingdesignwall.com/index.html

Blog Entries
    It works well!

Blog Entries
    love to have one.

Blog Entries
    love to have one.

np3
    Blog Entries
    Very nice!

I made a removable design wall for very little, mainly because I had very little to spend. I bought some flannel and some strips of velcro. I put the velcro strips evenly spaced across the top of a pair of bookcases in my sewing room and matched the other half of the velcro strips on the top end of the flannel. When I'm deep in a quilting project, I put the wall up, and when I'm not, I take the wall down.

Bookcase before design wall
    Name:  Attachment-235131.jpe
Views: 550
Size:  38.1 KB

Design wall up
    Name:  Attachment-235132.jpe
Views: 717
Size:  19.3 KB

Close up of velcro
    Name:  Attachment-235133.jpe
Views: 505
Size:  22.0 KB

Great idea!

Does anyone know if it would be possible to do one of these in a much wider width? My current design wall is 86" wide and I would love to be able to roll it up out of the way when it is not in use.

Blog Entries
    I got the Vanishing Design Wall, but have not put it up yet. I can't wait to though because I have heard nothing but great reviews of it.

I made one that rolls up -- I take it to class. It works well enough that I can get a partially finished project home so I can remember how I am supposed to put things together.

My design wall consists of the living room floor. Anything has to be a step up from that. LOL. If you get it, don't forget to post your review of it.

Never mind the design wall, I want my bookcases to look as neat as yours :). How do you keep them so organized?

I wish I had a design wall! I just lay out an old quilt on the floor, lay my stuff out, then roll it up. I take lay it across my bed (my machine is in my bedroom- would also love to have an actual quilting space!) and unroll it as I go. I try to sew it all together fairly soon after I've rolled it up so it doesn't all get crunched up and have to be pressed again before I can sew...

I have one and use it all the time. My wall is not square so it doesnt roll up straight but that is not their fault. The pieces do stay on it...the caveat is if you leave them rolled up for days they may be wrinkled.

I'm thinking of getting a roll up shade and covering it with flannel. The mounting it on the top of my shelving unit. Will the fabric stay on the flannel when it's rolled up and pulled down?

Or maybe I can score an old pull down map from school.

Quote Originally Posted by Alexandra
    Never mind the design wall, I want my bookcases to look as neat as yours :). How do you keep them so organized?
    I have to admit that the photo was taken shortly after I added the bookcases to my sewing room. If you saw them today, you'd wonder how in the heck things stay on the shelves and not just crash to the floor. Another good reason for the design wall - it hides the mess.

I have one that I got last year. While I do love it, I haven't tried to roll it up with anything on it. And I have to have my husband do it whent here is nothing on it. I just dont' have the knack! Other than that, I love mine.

Right now, I have my GFG flowers on it, so it will be there for a while! I have 33 out of 44 full flowers finished and 4 out of 8 1/2 flowers finished...all by hand!

Looks awesome!

Banned
    I'm sure this was already posted but I take my camera to class if I'm planning on learning a new pattern and even use at home. I lay the blocks out the way I want them on bed or floor then I take a couple of pictures with my digital camera. When I;'m ready to ew blockws together I just load up the picture and see what went where. Also works well if you're not sure. You can move, take pic, move take pic then scroll thru and choose one you like best.

Any other comments from people who own the Vanishing Design Wall? I'm thinking of getting it for the guest room in our condo. I like the idea of rolling up my work when guests are using the room. Thanks in advance!

Blog Entries
    The design wall looks really neat, I wish I had the money to get one.

It will be a major splurge for me but I am determined to have a nice looking space since I'll be 'sharing' it down the road with company. My space currently is not very cohesive which is okay since I'm the only one looking at it.

Small town in Northeast Oregon close to Washington and Idaho
    Blog Entries
    I bought the "Vanishing Design Wall" over a year ago and love, love, love it. I have absolutely no problems with it. I collect Boyd's Bears and they sit on the shelf of it. I have blocks on the wall and it's rolled up right now. It's easy for me to use. No problem rolling it up with blocks on it. I saw her advertisement and wanted one badly and my husband suggested we make one, but I thought that I should help any quilter who has an idea that I like. So I bought one. I like to help the women (and men) who come up with ideas and go to all the trouble to make them and spend so much money advertising them. I think you will love it. It hangs above my closet doors, so I roll it up when I need to get into my closets and roll it back down when I want to put my blocks on it. One of my favorite gadgets!!!!
    "Be yourself...everyone else is taken."
    Strong people don't put others down...they build them up."
    "Remember that your instincts are more important than rules"

Blog Entries
    that,s a great idea thanks for tip ,i like your shelf,s set up very nice
    we can make our plans but the out come is in god,s hands nellie diaz