Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Vanishing Design Wall >

Vanishing Design Wall

Vanishing Design Wall

Old 01-29-2022, 02:00 PM

Default Vanishing Design Wall

Has anyone used a projector screen to use as their design wall? I'm thinking about trying it and see if it will work. I will cover the screen with flannel. Using the screen may give it more substance then just flannel. Might have to take the metal cover off due to the extra thickness after adding the flannel. Thanks for your thoughts!
Old 01-29-2022, 03:14 PM

what I would give just to have that much space to put something up! Have fun!!
Old 01-29-2022, 03:25 PM
Gay

I think anything that can roll up - window /patio blinds or your screen - is an excellent idea.
Old 01-29-2022, 05:03 PM
Power Poster

If you can leave it down, I think it would work. I don’t know if the gears could handle the weight and thickness to retract.
Old 01-29-2022, 05:23 PM

I did, but it wasn't mounted on the wall. I did not permanently attach the fabric. Don't think that would have worked. Since I had no wall space, I would set up the projector stand and drape my design wall fabric over it, and then I could put my blocks on it. It was never stable enough to hold anything without pins, but it was sure better than nothing!.
Old 01-30-2022, 08:35 AM

LOL -- too funny, in my quest for weird objects while thrift store shopping I periodically look for a screen like that for the very same purpose. I was going to hang mine above my closet. I realized though that while nice for layout stuff I still couldn't get the perspective I was wanting.

I've also considered taking roman style shades, the type that raise up and down in pleats and mounting them above the closet too, so they would just be up and out of the way. You could even put a valance over the whole thing. Otherwise my current small house pretty much has all wall space taken up with doors or windows or things like beds. A narrow dark hallway does not give me the workroom or perspective I want, even if I drag out the big ott light.

I did get my free folding ping pong table for sandwiching my quilt, unfortunately no interior space for it and you don't want to have little bits of fussy cut fabric floating away in the wind... but they are a great size even if the horizontal and not vertical.
Old 01-30-2022, 08:56 AM
mkc

Originally Posted by Tartan View Post
If you can leave it down, I think it would work. I don’t know if the gears could handle the weight and thickness to retract.
Doubtful the housing is large enough diameter for rolled-up fabric, either.
Old 01-30-2022, 12:12 PM

I have a queen size bed in my guest bedroom and I use that for my design wall. It works for me.
Old 01-30-2022, 08:52 PM

Originally Posted by Tartan View Post
Originally Posted by mkc View Post
Doubtful the housing is large enough diameter for rolled-up fabric, either.
I agree with both of these
Old 01-31-2022, 04:33 AM

I would try to make a large Roman shade with felt that could be raised and lowered as needed. I'm sure U-tube must have a video to help you make one.