Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
which version of EQ to buy >

which version of EQ to buy

which version of EQ to buy

Old 06-08-2011, 09:53 AM

Hi there,
I want to get the EQ software but I don't know to save money if I should get version 5 or 6 and then upgrade to save money or just get the latest version. I've seen where the first option might be a good solution to the money issue but since I deal with computers daily I've learned over the years that sometimes upgrades don't work as well. I also am concerned as to how difficult the different versions are to learn to use. I've also looked at Quilt Pro but it looks like it would only be a starting off software and I'd want to upgrade later and it's close to the same price as EQ so it may not be right for me. Please let me know your thoughts on this.
Old 06-08-2011, 09:59 AM

I would get EQ six so that you will have the updated one with out have to spend more to get it
Old 06-08-2011, 10:12 AM

If you can't get 7, I would get 5. 6 has limited activations and if you have problems with computers, etc you may have to pay for additional activations. But you can't upgrade from 5 to 7. You'd have to buy the full version.
Old 06-08-2011, 10:15 AM
Power Poster

The manual with EQ6 is very user friendly, however you are limited on how many times you can install it.

EQ7 has more bells and whistles, and unlimited installations.

EQ5 has less options, unlimited installations, I haven't seen the manual so cannot comment on that.

From what I have seen, the upgrades are fairly spendy, I don't know if it is cost efficient to buy a version and then plan on upgrading....

If you go to the EQ website, there is a pretty good explanation of all of the versions. Feel free to call their customer service too. You can tell them what it is you want to use the program for, and they can help you with deciding on which version will meet your needs :D They are very kind, patient, and helpful :D:D:D

For me, EQ6 does all that I want. I did purchase EQ7 and maybe after playing with it some more, I may change my mind LOL
Old 06-08-2011, 10:36 AM

From what I heard you can't upgrade the older verions to the newest. Might be wrong-but that info came from quilters. You better check their website to be sure.

Kat
Old 06-08-2011, 10:42 AM
Banned

Get 7. You can upgrade to it from 6 but not from 5... but 7 is absolutely amazing!
Old 06-08-2011, 11:05 AM

I've got 7. Now from what I've heard through the grapevine, 6 is easier (more user friendly) than 5 and that 7 is even better. 7 you can do amazing things with. I've seen 7 as low as 139.00. Sites HAVE to state retail price or request that you call to get the amount of the software. I know a lot of places have it for a reduced amount when you call them.

Good Luck!!!
Old 06-08-2011, 11:08 AM
Power Poster

Buy the best you can afford applies to everything. EQ5 is a great design program. EQ 6 adds more features. EQ7 made the features more user friendly plus added the picture tracing/importing. You can have EQ7 installed on two computers at a time, unlimited installations but only on two computers. Doesn't matter what two computers. You install it online so the computers you are installing it on are registered to that version. You can install it on a different computer or a new computer any time. I know two guild members that split the cost of EQ7 and that way it can be on each of their computers. It works fine that way, but belongs to only the registered buyer.
Old 06-08-2011, 11:59 AM
Kas

I hate my EQ5. I would love to get 7, but arguing for it when I gave up on 5 might not fly with DH!
Old 06-08-2011, 01:21 PM

EQ has offered a special price to upgrade directly from 5 to 7. I can't remember what it was as I decided to stick with 5, but I bet if you call them anyway, they'd tell you about the offer. I've seen 5 listed for $50 to $70, usually with a couple of books.