Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Vertical or Horizontal block piecing -- Help! >

Vertical or Horizontal block piecing -- Help!

Vertical or Horizontal block piecing -- Help!

Old 02-03-2011, 09:42 PM

I number my rows and blocks seprately and dont take them off untill im all done..
row 1 blk 1, row 1 blk 2
row 2 blk 1, row 2 blk 2 and so on.
I have taken toooooo many apart because I sewed them in the wrong spot, upside down, and this is not sure proof either because let be said ive sewn out of sequence b4 lol.
Old 02-04-2011, 04:11 AM

Originally Posted by Scissor Queen
I don't sew rows at all. I sew the blocks into giant 4 patches and then the giant 4 patches together until I have the quilt in 4 quarters. Then I sew the top quarters together and the bottom quarters together. You only have one full width seam that way. Plus the quilt comes out squarer overall.
I'm a new quilter and I really like that idea. Seems like it wouldn't be as intimidating as working with all the long rows.

Thanks! Pat
Old 02-04-2011, 06:14 PM

I usually number the rows/blocks, too, but that is because I always SAW the quilt as blocks and rows. Sections like quarters never entered my mind! Thanks to all of you who suggested that! I will put that to use on my current project when it comes time to put the 30 blocks together. I learn something new here every time I come a-reading. I am so grateful to all of you who share your methods!
Old 02-07-2011, 06:57 PM
Power Poster

Ugg!!
Old 02-09-2011, 03:43 AM

I don't sew rows at all. I sew the blocks into giant 4 patches and then the giant 4 patches together until I have the quilt in 4 quarters. Then I sew the top quarters together and the bottom quarters together. You only have one full width seam that way. Plus the quilt comes out squarer overall.
I also think this is the best way to do it. There are not nearly so many seams to match up each time and it's much more manageable under the machine.
Old 02-10-2011, 11:56 AM

Originally Posted by Kappy
This sounds like something I'll have to try. Is there a method of pressing you use so the seams aren't all going in one way?
I press just like I would if I was doing rows. All of row 1 seams press to one side all of row 2 seams press to the other direction. The only difference is you're only putting two blocks of row 1 together before you sew them to two blocks of row 2. When you put the giant four patches together you do need to do some planning which way to press the seams. You can still press them so they go in opposite directions.

I also use safety pins and little labels and label my blocks r1b1, r1b2, r2b1, r2b2, etc and I make sure the label is at the top of the block with the top of the label at the top of the block.

When I put the Orion's Star Thangles quilt together I'll do a tutorial!
Looking forward to your tutorial!

:lol:
Old 02-12-2011, 02:30 AM

Ditto. Have far better results at the final squaring up stage making up the top this way than in rows, whether horizontal or vertical. Also I think it lies flatter too imho.
As you try the different ways you will find your own preference and then get experienced in that way. Looking forward to seeing pictures of your top.
Old 02-12-2011, 08:23 AM

How do you put a quilt together that is on point?
I sewed mine first one into 4 patches, then rows and finally rows together but would like your advice.
Old 02-12-2011, 11:09 AM

Originally Posted by Rebecca_S
How do you put a quilt together that is on point?
I sewed mine first one into 4 patches, then rows and finally rows together but would like your advice.
I kind of do it the same way but I end up with more than four sections before it all goes together.