Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Very basic question 2 - seams pressed open or to the side? >

Very basic question 2 - seams pressed open or to the side?

Very basic question 2 - seams pressed open or to the side?

Old 06-09-2014, 07:32 AM

I am taking Leah Day's FMQ a Sampler class on Craftsy. She advises to press the seams open, even for stitching in the ditch. She says she's never had a problem with a seam coming open or shredding the thread. I've always pressed to one side, but my current project I'm pressing the seams open, and I'm going to SITD. It will be interesting to see what happens!
Old 06-09-2014, 07:42 AM

I do press to the side unless it makes it easier for some corners to come together, and then I press open.
Old 06-09-2014, 11:08 AM

I tend to press straight seams in a block to the side, but, where several points meet, I try to press them open so they will lay flat.. I think it is a matter of choice and you may want to think about how you are quilting as that will make a difference with the open seams
Old 06-09-2014, 11:22 AM

This made me think of what Jenny Doan says and laughs about "Press to the dark side".
Old 06-09-2014, 11:32 AM
Power Poster

I really prefer to press "to the side" - I think pressing the seams open is a lot harder.

At times, I will do an analysis of a given spot and determine how many thicknesses I come up if I press the seams to the side or open.

I have decided that I can use both methods in one piece now.
Old 06-09-2014, 02:05 PM

I was watching the same Leah Day video and it seems to me that she mentioned the fact that some quilters feel the seam has to be pressed to one side to make the quilt stronger. However, her comment was that she has been quilter for a long time and never had a problem. But she did mention that when she was piecing, she set her stitch length at 1.5. I personally have never pressed the seam to one side. Seems to me that it would be very bulky. However, I must mention that I have never encountered the quilt police so probably have been quilting ignorant all these years. But you know what; I am happy in my ignorance, so there!
Old 06-09-2014, 02:11 PM

Right now I'm getting myself all kind of confused. I'm making a beach quilt with PUL for the backing, the directions call for 1/2" seams, I keep trying to start with a 1/4" and then pressing the seams open I keep pressing to the side first ACK! I'll be glad when this thing is done. I'll probably have to retrain myself again when I get back to a good old fashioned quilt
Old 06-09-2014, 03:45 PM

Interesting thread! I was going to post this question tonight; I am a long time quilter (since the early '80's) and have always pressed to the side. I'm starting a new project soon that says to press the seams open. My question to the group was going to be "What's the difference?" but you all have answered me very well. I now know that it will take longer and burn my fingers (I'm a klutz!) to press them open so I will try it but will return to the tried-and-true pressing to the side when I get tired of the new way.....Thank you all!!!!!
Old 06-09-2014, 06:23 PM

I usually press open after seeing a video done by a women in Idaho who uses her long arm to quilt Quilts of Valor and that is what she prefers from those people making the quilts. I will do to the side when I plan to stitch in the ditch or I will press open if I use a serpentine or zigzag stitch in the ditch where I not just stitching on the seam threads.
Old 06-09-2014, 07:08 PM

As a long arm quilter...If I get a quilt that has the seams pressed open...there can't be any stitching in the ditch on those seams...I've tried and break the sewing thread almost every time....so, I just don't do SID on those quilts. Having the seams pressed to one side is what makes it possible to do SID (stitch in the ditch)..and have the SID almost invisible.
Other than that, it's a matter of preference.

Originally Posted by annesthreads View Post
I was taught to press seams to the side, because it makes the seam stronger than if it's pressed open. Watching a Leah Day video yesterday, I noticed that she presses hers open. It certainly makes things easier when it comes to avoiding bulk and also helps avoid light against dark fabric and vice versa. What are people's opinions on this?