Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Very Disappointed in what I saw at a Quilt Show >

Very Disappointed in what I saw at a Quilt Show

Very Disappointed in what I saw at a Quilt Show

Old 04-02-2011, 12:37 PM

Today I went to a quilt show in the next town over. It was in a historical Tavern/bed and breakfast place and this was only the second year that they have done this quilt show.

Anxiously I have been waiting all week long after I heard about it and I truly wanted to go to it since I have only been to one other quilt show before and LOVED THAT ONE.

Anyways, todays weather is rain and more rain granted its only scattered rain showers, but where this quilt show is must be the entire center of every scattered shower that was predicted.
As I am looking close at some of the quilts that were on the inside of the building, I noticed several of them that had mildew on them and they definately smelled like mildew, but they were still really nice quilts. Such a shame that they weren't at least laundered so the smell wasnt so bad, but I did so much enjoy them for the most part.

My husband and I pull up to this place and what do we see???? Quilts literally hanging over balconies on the second floor OUTSIDE IN THE RAIN with no protection!!!!! It truly made me sick because I know how much work and expense goes into making these quilts just to see them draped over balconies to get RUINED in my opinion. I HONESTLY hope that none of the "owners" of those particular quilts see how they are being treated.
Besides that, people were "manhandling" the ones that were draped over chairs and tables. YOU DON'T DO THAT!!! Weren't people taught to "Look and NOT touch"??
I actually saw this woman using her fingernails and "picking at some hand stitching" that was done on an applique just so that she could see what type of thread was being used. She was not happy with me because I couldn't keep my big fat mouth shut and told her that was sooooo very wrong of her to do that. I immediately went and told one of the people that was in charge of the quilt show and pointed out who the lady was that did it. Maybe to that woman it is not a big deal, but for the person that spent probably months if not years hand appliquing it was.

There was one quilt there. OMG I wish it were mine. It was called Black Beauty. And it looked like it may have been a king sized one. GORGEOUS. It taught me one very valuable lesson that no matter how visually handicapped a person is....they can ACCOMPLISH ANYTHING that they set their mind to. This quilt was made by not only a Man, but a BLIND man. For what I understood, he did sew it on a machine. He cut out all the fabric himself and pieced it all together by himself. Every once in a while, this man would have to ask his wife for help on something but very rarely. HE does ALL of his quilts in blacks and whites and it is because he is able to see "black and white, grays" but no other colors. Once in a while I guess his wife suggests he add one other color but very rarely. I took this picture with my cell phone. The picture does no justice on this gorgeous quilt.

We were all given a pencil and a piece of paper to put our names on and what quilt # that we thought was the best quilt in the show. Well you know what mine and my husbands was...yep Black Beauty #47.
Even if this man doesn't win best in show....I am POSITIVE that he won Best in Show in alot of peoples hearts today. :))

Black Beauty Quilt that was made by a blind man
[ATTACH=CONFIG]178753[/ATTACH]

Black Beauty Quilt that was made by a blind man
[ATTACH=CONFIG]178753[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-178747.jpe  
Old 04-02-2011, 12:41 PM

wow, can't believe they let folks handle the quilts like that - and left them out in the rain!! Bet a lot of quilters will not be entering next year.
Old 04-02-2011, 12:42 PM

Hmm, the quilt show was not too well organised. You are certainly right that quilts on show should not be handled and should be dry.

The Black Beauty quilt must have made up for all the disappointment as it is fabulous and even if his sex and disability were not mentioned, it is still a fabulour quilt and should have won a prize.

I congratulate you on taking a stand and speaking out. It is not easy to do that. Quilters everywhere should stand up and applaud you.
Old 04-02-2011, 12:44 PM

Originally Posted by ptquilts
wow, can't believe they let folks handle the quilts like that - and left them out in the rain!! Bet a lot of quilters will not be entering next year.
I can guarantee that if I was to enter into a quilt show...that would be one I would not ever do.

The only other quilt show I had gone to, there was a woman that was standing just inside the door that handed every person 2 disposable gloves to put on "just in case" we felt the need to touch a quilt. I thought that was a fantastic idea.
Old 04-02-2011, 01:19 PM

Black beauty is beautiful and deserves a prize. I also cannot believe they let people handle quilts like that. I am another one that wouldn't let my quilts go into that show. Maybe these remarks ought to be sent to the people that organize the show to let them know what other quilters think.
Old 04-02-2011, 01:26 PM

Good for you for speaking up. Unfortunate that you had to step in but glad to hear you did.
Old 04-02-2011, 01:32 PM

Disgusting! Every quilt show I've gone to, which is only about 5-6, they always had "white glove" people to handle the quilts if you wanted to see the back. That quilt looks fabulous in the picture, I can only imagine how beautiful it is in reality.
Old 04-02-2011, 01:34 PM

Originally Posted by quiltgran2
Good for you for speaking up. Unfortunate that you had to step in but glad to hear you did.
Yes! Sometimes we just have to vocalize what's on our mind!

Black Beauty is absolutely gorgeous! Thanks so much for sharing the photo.
Old 04-02-2011, 01:35 PM

Yay you for speaking up! I'm that way about healthy people parking in the handicapped zones, or those who park in fire lanes.

I really do hope that Black Beauty wins! That is an amazing feat for someone with limited vision. Yes, I would like to own that one too.
Old 04-02-2011, 01:36 PM

I live in Beaverton, OR. Where was the quilt show & what was the name of it??? This was shocking to hear.
I went to one 2 weeks ago that was well done.