Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Viking Sapphire 835 Machine--What, no take up lever? >

Viking Sapphire 835 Machine--What, no take up lever?

Viking Sapphire 835 Machine--What, no take up lever?

Old 05-03-2011, 11:57 AM

Hi Quilters!

I see some of you own the Viking Sapphire 835 and are really enjoying your machines. I have been quilting a long time on Pfaffs, but loved the buttonholes, extra long throat, dual lights and free floating quilting features on the Sapphire. This baby is a great machine for the price and seems to throw down a precise stitch like my Pfaffs.

What I found a little scary tho was that there is no manual take up lever on the Viking and I don't know if I could get used to not having it. So how can you ever precisely adjust your fabric position if you have to rely on the auto up and down button that seems to clamp the fabric down tight? Not sure I could eyeball it right and may frustrate myself moving the thing up and down repeatedly. I like the control of the manual take up lever since I can skootch (is that a word?) the fabric around so easily.

The other thing about the Sapphire I was not sure about was the small space in front of the needle. There is no "ramp" for the fabric to glide on before hitting the needle and so I am not sure that's a good design for us quilters.

Are these two points of concern to any of you who own the Sapphires? Any comments you have are most appreciated. This group always has such good advice.

Thank you,
Mary
Old 05-03-2011, 12:03 PM

Originally Posted by ArizonaQuilts1
Are these two points of concern to any of you who own the Sapphires? Any comments you have are most appreciated. This group always has such good advice.
If you press the button to raise the foot, you'll see there are two levels. The very highest level is where it should be to thread the machine. The other level is lower, and lets you reposition the fabric.

As for the space in front of the needle, it isn't very wide. I bought an acrylic table for my Sapphire, which gives me a bit more space and also supports my project better.

I hope you enjoy working with your machine!

Janet
Old 05-03-2011, 12:16 PM
Kaz

My Pfaff Creative 4.0 is the same. My hand still goes automatically to where it should be. Eventually (accidentally) found on mine if I press the 'down' button again it raises itself slightly for adjustments. have fun with your new machine.
Old 05-03-2011, 06:55 PM

I have the 870 and got use to not having a take-up lever very quickly. I don't miss it at all and when I use my back up machine that has the lever, it takes me a while to get in the habit of using it again. Positioning the fabric has never been a problem either. It all just becomes second nature very quickly.
Old 05-03-2011, 07:02 PM

I absolutely love my 870! It is the best machine I've ever owned and the only one that I've never thought about replacing. I think you will adjust very quickly to an automatic lowering and raising of the presser foot. Please let us know if you decide to get one. I think you'll love it!
Old 05-03-2011, 08:36 PM

I also have the 870 and I love it. The automatic presser foot hasn't been a problem for me cause I use leaders and enders. As Janet mentioned, I also got an acrylic table to extend the surface. And I really love that extra long throat.
Old 05-04-2011, 09:28 AM
Power Poster

I have Vikings, but not this model. they all have the automatic presser foot. In one of the tools menus there is a place where you can adjust the pressure. Take a look in your manual and see if this adjustment is available. I might be wrong, but I don't think that 'manual take up lever' is the correct term for this so if you were looking in your manual, you may not find anything under that topic. The take up lever is the 'arm' that goes up and down when you sew and keeps the thread at the correct tension.
Old 05-04-2011, 10:34 AM

Thank you! You're right. It's not a take up lever at all. LOL!!! But the good news is most of you knew what I meant so I got some great feedback. THANK YOU ALL!

OK, now I am going back to look at the Viking 835 (and the two higher-end models) to see if I can manage that pesky up and down button without hurting myself.

In the meantime, my Pfaff dealer called and quoted some pretty darn good prices on the Pfaff Expressions 2.0, 3.0 and 4.0. The only thing that worries me about the Pfaffs are they all have a dip where the bobbin goes and it's exactly in the path of the fabric......I'm thinking the seams may be prone to flip easily once they hit that dip. Oh, and Pfaff buttonholes have not been known to be the best.....welll at least on my 1471, 7530 and 2XXX something. The CV I have makes great buttonholes, but that machine is my husband's.....plus it scares me too much :)

Thank you nice quilters! I really appreciate your help.

Mary
Old 05-04-2011, 11:05 AM

Originally Posted by ArizonaQuilts1
OK, now I am going back to look at the Viking 835 (and the two higher-end models) to see if I can manage that pesky up and down button without hurting myself.

Pfaff buttonholes have not been known to be the best.....welll at least on my 1471, 7530 and 2XXX something. The CV I have makes great buttonholes, but that machine is my husband's.....plus it scares me too much :)

Thank you nice quilters! I really appreciate your help.

Mary
I seldom use the up/down button. Just a tap of the foot control works for me. Now that I'm used to it I miss it when I sew on my FW. And as far as buttonholes. My 870 came with a buttonhole attachment that's supposed to be fabulous. I can't speak from experience cause I've never used it. Anyone else tried theirs?
Old 05-05-2011, 08:20 PM

Thanks everybody for your comments--you helped with my decision. I decided to get the Sapphire even tho there is no presser foot lever. My dealer offered an outstanding price that I could not pass up.

I'll take delivery of her next week and hopefully I will get used to the up/down button or the foot pedal command.

Mary