Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
vintage block designs >

vintage block designs

vintage block designs

Old 02-24-2023, 12:56 AM

Default vintage block designs

Hello, i am new and i wanted to share these really cool blocks i found in a Victorian? era scrapbook. I think they're very old.

could anyone tell me the era they date from?

the rest of the album is all knit or crochet lace patterns, pasted into a "Mark Twain scrapbook" made by Daniel Slote and company, patented 1902.

There are no other details or evidence of when this scrapbook was made or which publications they originated from.

I asked Roderick Kiracoffe on IG and he suspects 1910s-1930s, but I would love to find more specific information if possible.
Attached Thumbnails block-0.jpeg   block-4.jpeg  
Old 02-24-2023, 05:07 AM

It looks like someone has pencilled "American Woman" on a couple of the clippings. Name of an early women's magazine?
Old 02-24-2023, 06:55 PM

Originally Posted by QuiltMom2 View Post
It looks like someone has pencilled "American Woman" on a couple of the clippings. Name of an early women's magazine?
A quick google search shows American Woman magazine from the late 1800's to the early 1920's
Old 02-24-2023, 08:10 PM

It's likely that these blocks were printed in the American Woman magazine, which was published in Augusta, Maine. See a profile of the periodical here: AMERICAN WOMAN Magazine Profile (magazineart.org) The pencilled note of "5 cents" may help to narrow down the publication to pre-1921 (when the price rose to ten cents). The Maine State Library has an incomplete run of issues from the early 1900s--you might try there to see if you could identify the original article. A few issues of this magazine are offered for sale on eBay. I don't know whether some other library might have a complete collection.

If you want to investigate further, you might try the National Quilt Museum in Paducah or the International Quilt Museum in Lincoln, Nebraska. Also perhaps the American Quilt Study Group could point you to more information.

Would love to know what you find out.

Old 02-24-2023, 11:12 PM

The number one expert is quilt historian Barbara Brackman. She has a blog here and has written several books about antique quilts and patterns.
Old 03-02-2023, 10:33 PM

Thank you, everyone. I will try to contact Barbara Brackman and see what she can tell me.
Old 03-03-2023, 10:10 AM

Check out her website and her books. It's highly likely you'll find the block in one of her many resources.
Old 03-04-2023, 07:11 AM

Barbara Brackman is pretty amazing about vintage quilts.