Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Is this vintage block finished ? >
  • Is this vintage block finished ?

• Is this vintage block finished ?

Old 04-29-2014, 04:10 AM

I would also like to know if all the blocks are the same color, just curious. Antennae are different from any butterfly block I've ever seen, little black buttons on the end would do the trick and I think the wings (maybe the body) needs some embroidery to set them off, but maybe quilting could do that too. Have fun!
    Old 04-29-2014, 04:20 AM

I like QuiltE's idea of using coordinating print blocks. The block you show is indeed primative, which is attractive to me. Detail in the butterflies could be achieved through the quilting, as QuiltMom2 suggested. What a great find! Let us see the finished quilt.
    Old 04-29-2014, 04:58 AM

Each of these blocks are of a different fabric but made the same. I think I will print out my picture of the block and then play with it regarding embroidery. I can mark on multiple copies to find something that works for me. I have many butterfly blocks made in the 1930's but this is the most unusual of all. I think originally I bought it to take the body fabric for blocks and discard the rest but I just can't do that now. I restore old quilts and use vintage blocks and try to do the best I can in making quilts come to life. I will add sashing and borders and this may not turn out my favorite, but when finished, I'll post the picture. I am also making 3 other quilts now from vintage blocks.
    Old 04-29-2014, 06:55 AM

I would just add french knot eyes and leave it the way it is.I like Terry D.s suggestion.j
    Old 04-29-2014, 07:12 AM
    Power Poster

Originally Posted by ckcowl
    the shape is probably 'off' a bit because the blocks have not been squared up yet after the embroidery/applique was done- if you would like to embellish them a little more you could embroider antenna onto the butterfly- or what ever other embellishment- then just give them a good press & square them up so they are all square & equal in size.
    I would do some stitching in the wings just to give them a bit more dimension, give them a good starch and square them up. You might look for some butterfly material that you can use as a coordinating block.
    Old 04-29-2014, 07:50 AM

I like to find "vintage" embroidered blocks and "save" them. My usual method is to get them all the same size, then sash them with 30's reproduction fabrics to the desirable size. (Either all the same or a mix of colors) I would not add any machine embroidery. To me, that would take away from the original stitching.
    Another possibility would be alternating the embroidered blocks with same size fabric blocks (one fabric, or mixed colors in pinwheels or 9-patch designs.) If you want eyes, you could do French knots. I have even sewn on little bitty doll-clothes black buttons for butterfly eyes. Of course, the buttons would go on AFTER the quilting. Have fun!
    Old 04-29-2014, 08:24 AM

Just a suggestion. Square up the blocks, Use complementary fabric for sashing and maybe put in corner stones. When you have it quilted that is when you will see the difference in the quilt. Have the quilt quilted in the wings and also in the body of the butterfly and outline the butterfly. When the body is quilted, you can have the stitching make the separation between the body and the head of the butterfly. There are a lot of good suggestions being offered. Combine all the ideas and pick out the one you like the best. Hope you post the finished project.
    Old 04-29-2014, 08:58 AM
    Power Poster

I would do a satin stitch around the outside edge over the straight line stitching. I have seen how these fall apart after washing.

On another note, this image looks like a white lined sphinx moth. They are fascinating to watch. They are almost as big as a small humming bird and this long tongue rolls out to suck on the middle of a flower.

Here is a few pictures of them.
    https://www.google.com/search?hl=en&...tuTzk#imgdii=_

Last edited by RedGarnet222; 04-29-2014 at 09:10 AM.
    Old 04-29-2014, 09:05 AM

Originally Posted by QuiltE
    If it were me, I think I would not add any embellishments to the blocks ... the new would show as just that.

What I would do would be to square it up, and add sashings, as I wanted with coordinating fabric(s) or alternate with coordinating print blocks. When it came to quilting, that's where I would add any extra detail wanted on the butterfly ... such as quilting lines from the body out to the scalloped wing edge and perhaps across the body or a u-shape thru the length of the body. ......
    I like this idea best.

I don't think the blocks will fall apart with washing. It looks like the edges are turned under so it should be as secure as any other quilt block out there.
    Rodney
    Old 04-30-2014, 03:06 AM

Originally Posted by earthwalker
    Just needs a few lines of embroidery in the wing area to bring it to life, square up, add some sashing and you are good to go. Very pretty.
    Yes some Embroidery would bring out the wings and the head etc... even if its the same color or just a shade different would keep that Old Vintage look... Will work up nice into a Lap robe...