Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Vintage Feedsacks

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by susansomethings View Post
    A couple months ago purchased a large box FULL of old feedsack fabrics( at A great price)...they are beautiful! Well starting a quilt with some of them today. Hope everyone has a wonderful "Quilting Day"
    Was this an online purchase? If you don't mind, you might share where you found these.
    GramMER to eighteen, plus two great-granddaughters and four adopted greats soon we hope!

Blog Entries
    ok here is a pic...of the box full & then what I will be working with for this projectAttachment 351954Attachment 351955
    What about trying one of these:

Here is the link for an easy tutorial:
    http://quiltingtutorials.com/all/sta...ilt-turnovers/

There are also directions at the Quilters Cache for a 10 inch block. Here is that link:
    http://www.quilterscache.com/P/Pinwheel8Block.html
    GramMER to eighteen, plus two great-granddaughters and four adopted greats soon we hope!

I purchased them here in North Carolina at a house auction and elderly lady who had passed away & they sold her things. I could never afford them on line...they would have cost hundreds of dollars I know. Ok I will make you all crazy with the price of $25.00 for the whole box, nothing short of a steal.

When I was growing up, my grandmother used feed sacks for everything. I remember the dish towels the best.
    Kaye Jacobson Salverda

Wonderful. They will make a pretty quilt!

Beautiful patterns and colors.
    Carol

Sounds like you really got a deal. As a collector for many years, I've seen the prices really go up. Anyway, I had a collection and I'm in a group of 6 who handquilt weekly. Two of the other ladies also had some feedsacks, so we shared with the others and all of us made a Turning Twenty quilt. They turned out beautiful. We even put feedsacks on the back so the entire quilts would be Vintage fabric. Have fun with your stash.

Don't you just love the feel of the feedsack cotton? So soft and strong. I am happy for you. This is from a "kid" who wore feedsack clothes, underclothes, pajamas, etc. My favorite memory is when my mother found feedsacks with bathing beauties on them (really, just heads and toes covered by bubbles in between). She made one of my brother 2 pairs of boxer shorts and sent them to him somewhere in the South Pacific. They were the rage of the entire ship!

Where do you find feed sack fabrics? These are a vivid memory from my childhood.

Oh, my goodness, that is "a steal"! And they are gorgeous! I hope to one day be so lucky to find some beautiful feedsacks like that! Enjoy yourself, and do them proud!

Awe, love those fabrics, bet it's gonna be a beauty!
    If a woman's work is never done....why start?

Power Poster
    Good for you.

Lucky you. I was at an estate/garage sale a couple weeks ago and eyed a box of feed sacks, but I didn't get to them before someone else picked them up. I followed her around for awhile hoping she would put them down, but no such luck. I thought about wrestling her to the ground for them, but could see the headlines. "Local women thrown in jail for fighting over a box of fabric." So had to let that go.
    Life is like a ten speed bicycle. Most of us have gears we never use.
    Charles M. Schulz

Blog Entries
    thank you for showing them they are beautiful
    Ladyredhawk

Just what is a good price for feed sacks? Does anyone know the going rate for them? I was at a store a while ago and the woman there said that she knew someone had some for sale, but I didn't ask what price they were, because I was looking for something else at the time. So sad, now that I've read this posting.
    My mother had some that she got at a feed mill years and years ago. The only things left of them when she died was the white kitchen towels that she made from some white ones. I still have some of those towels and use them!

Quote Originally Posted by GramMER View Post
    What about trying one of these:

Here is the link for an easy tutorial:

There are also directions at the Quilters Cache for a 10 inch block. Here is that link:
    http://www.quilterscache.com/P/Pinwheel8Block.html
    I could get the Quilters Cache link to open, but not the tutorial one.

A couple months ago purchased a large box FULL of old feedsack fabrics( at A great price)...they are beautiful! Well starting a quilt with some of them today. Hope everyone has a wonderful "Quilting Day"

having grown up wearing "feed sack" clothing, I fail to see the charm. The fabric is course, the prints are cloudy, and I'd think the fabric would shrink a mile.
    Bad Spellers of the World
    U N T I E

ok here is a pic...of the box full & then what I will be working with for this projectAttachment 351954Attachment 351955
    This fabric is no where near what we had as "feed sacks". Ours was course, not sharp prints and no where as nice as any of this.
    Bad Spellers of the World
    U N T I E

Quote Originally Posted by Janis View Post
    Just what is a good price for feed sacks? Does anyone know the going rate for them? I was at a store a while ago and the woman there said that she knew someone had some for sale, but I didn't ask what price they were, because I was looking for something else at the time. So sad, now that I've read this posting.
    My mother had some that she got at a feed mill years and years ago. The only things left of them when she died was the white kitchen towels that she made from some white ones. I still have some of those towels and use them!
    Well as far as a price for them first let me say a year or so ago I was at another auction & they had a very small box of them, not near as many as I got & they sold for $285.00!!! Look on ebay they sell very high & alot depends on the prints, last time I looked any that had a purple color in them went extremlly high. I was very blessed to get these at the price I did, I don't think there was anyone else there that knew they were feedsack fabric. If I were to sell these I dare say I could make a lot of money, but I don't see that happening.

Quote Originally Posted by carolynjo View Post
    Don't you just love the feel of the feedsack cotton? So soft and strong. I am happy for you. This is from a "kid" who wore feedsack clothes, underclothes, pajamas, etc. My favorite memory is when my mother found feedsacks with bathing beauties on them (really, just heads and toes covered by bubbles in between). She made one of my brother 2 pairs of boxer shorts and sent them to him somewhere in the South Pacific. They were the rage of the entire ship!
    Love your story about the boxers! I tell you I am cherishing these fabrics, almost felt sad when I cut for the quilt! My dad raised me so...I never had any clothing made of them and sometimes I think I missed out

I was surprised at how bright the colors were. I thought feed sacks were kinda like flour sacks and the printing was on the pale side, like it was faded. I use what I think is feed sack dish towels and love them. They are so light weight and absorb water really well. Of course, they are just plain white. I got my first ones at Elliot's Hardware in Dallas about 25 yrs. ago. Then I found some at Williams Sanoma in Houston. A few months ago, I found some at Walmart.
    When a dying man asked his pastor "How long does it take to die?" his pastor's heartfelt reply was "A lifetime." Live life to the fullest, but stop now and then to enjoy the sunset.
    Lynda

Thanks for posting the pictures - they are really lovely and you got a great deal!

Nancy

I just LOVE those! Someday I hope to find some feedsacks. My MIL told me how they used to make shirts and things from them. I never saw any, tho. They look just beautiful.
    SittingPretty

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Janis View Post
    I could get the Quilters Cache link to open, but not the tutorial one.
    Try this to see if it works for you. I think it is a MissouriStar tutorial.

(http://quiltingtutorials.com/all/sta...ilt-turnovers/)
    Last edited by GramMER; 07-31-2012 at 05:28 AM. Reason: The link did not copy correctly.

WOW as in wonderful

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast