Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
vintage flower garden, quilting or ties? >

vintage flower garden, quilting or ties?

vintage flower garden, quilting or ties?

Old 01-13-2012, 03:43 AM

I usually quilt a simple flower that overlaps to the next hexagon. I think it strengthens the body of the quilt.
Old 01-13-2012, 11:14 AM

Here's the state of the quilt right now:
I have more of that red trim to add to the edges of the quilt.I also laid the flower I need to applique on top--its covering the center black/green plaid flower. yuck. Here's my hand for scale: I hate that black and green plaid so much. I think I'm going to have to cover the other ones up too. what were they thinking?!
Old 01-13-2012, 11:35 AM

Originally Posted by oakdryad5 View Post
What is a FMQ stencil? I will definitely post some pictures. I am going to try to get some before pictures also and post them soon.

I hadn't thought about this..do you mean that it would be fragile for actually doing it, or for holding up over time? I'm not against hand quilting completely but I don't think I could finish it in time. Also the person I am gifting it to really would treasure something done more traditionally as she herself prefers hand quilting to machine quilting. So that was tipping the scales over towards tying for me, knowing her preference. I really need to learn more about tying though...

I would really love to see that! I tried to find your photo but there were so many posts? Is there an easy way to find it? Do you remember what the title of the post was? I tried searching but couldn't find it--also though I am new here so I may not be looking in the right place

Thanks everyone for your feedback, I really appreciate it. I am wondering, if I don't stitch every hexagon (machine or by hand) what pattern would be appropriate, like every other hexagon? or just the centers of the flowers?

I should mention also I have one alteration I have to make, the center of the the quilt as I cut it has a really ugly colored "flower" its black and neon green plaid..ugh. So I cut another flower of hexagons from another part and I'm planning to applique the whole complex (like 20 hexagons) directly on top of the other one. I'll post pics soon.
To view the quilts in the gallery, go to "Pictures" on the home page. Then "Gallery of Quilts" The quilts are all listed under types. GFG, Dresden Plate, etc. My gfg is the 3rd one pictured under GFG. The next one down from that (I think) is to dye for! The quilting is stunning. Looks like it was done in circles, making it look like flower peddles. (is that spelled right!!??) Anyway, you can spend a lot of time in the gallery!
Old 01-13-2012, 12:50 PM

re:I am concerned the hand quilting would take forever and the baby is due this summer. I could also do it on the machine but I'd rather do the tying instead but not sure if that would look weird or unusual for this quilt pattern. suggestions?

I am finishing a GFG top for a baby quilt. I prefer hand quilting. Usually I would quilt each little hexagon. But for this one, I am only going to quilt the center of each florette. It will make each flower stand out. IMHO
Old 01-14-2012, 05:51 PM

thanks humbird I found it! its gorgeous! you're right you can spend a lot of time in that gallery. so many beautiful quilts! soosan, that's a great idea. I can't wait to detach the quilt top completely. I'm getting close to 1/2 done, that thing was really hand quilted on securely!
Old 01-14-2012, 10:53 PM
Power Poster

Thanks for posting the pics....just wanted to say...I rather like the green plaid (yeah I know...takes all kinds). I think tying works really well with many quilts, but this fabric is vintage and a baby quilt, there would be less pulling and stress on the fabric if it were hand or machine quilted....there are usually quite big gaps between ties, therefore more movement in the layers.

I am enjoying this little quilt adventure ....all the best.
Old 01-16-2012, 11:19 AM

Originally Posted by earthwalker View Post
Thanks for posting the pics....just wanted to say...I rather like the green plaid (yeah I know...takes all kinds). I think tying works really well with many quilts, but this fabric is vintage and a baby quilt, there would be less pulling and stress on the fabric if it were hand or machine quilted....there are usually quite big gaps between ties, therefore more movement in the layers.

I am enjoying this little quilt adventure ....all the best.
Thanks! Maybe my friend will feel the same about that green plaid so I can leave it? I just think it looks so discordant with the other colors...but maybe it will grow on me! I'm still separating out the quilt top. That's what scares me, that if it takes so long just to rip those seams it will take so much longer to quilt it! I'm considering having my mom-in-law come and help me quilt sitting side by side on the couch
Old 01-16-2012, 02:42 PM
Power Poster

Nice idea having your MIL work on it with you. I think the quilting will go way quicker and easier than the separating. Taking things apart is more stressful, because you are having to really focus on being so careful with the stitch ripping. Let us know how you get on.
Old 01-16-2012, 04:40 PM

I tied a GFG quilt and used black thread with some luminescence around the center hexagon of the flower and it looked like stamens coming out of the flower. Let us see how yours turns out!
Old 01-16-2012, 07:22 PM

I think the quilt is beautiful. Either way will be great. Makes me want to finish mine when I return to VA. Have fun.