Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Vintage Muslin Sheets - First Lady >

Vintage Muslin Sheets - First Lady

Vintage Muslin Sheets - First Lady

Old 02-26-2013, 04:58 AM

Default Vintage Muslin Sheets - First Lady

Went to an estate sale this weekend and bought a boat load of sheets. The label on several say "First Lady Premium Muslin" and I was wondering if any of you were familiar with this brand. The label looks vintagey to me, but I really couldn't find anything on the net about the brand. I bought the muslin sheets to use for quilting. Think that would be okay? Actually, all the sheets seem nicer than the ones I have on my beds now! They still have the cleaners tags on them. I can't imagine sending my sheets out. They were all perfectly pressed. I went toward end of the last day of the sale when everything was 50% off. Wish I'd been there the first day before everything was picked over because the leavings were still great.
Old 02-26-2013, 06:25 AM
Power Poster

Not sure on brand but with the care taken am sure they're probably high quality and would be great to use.
Old 02-26-2013, 06:25 AM

I know some disagree with it, but I use sheets for backing all the time for quilts I make for family and friends. I have never had a problem quilting them with my machine, Viking Mega. It is so cost effective on my limited budget, 2 or 3 dollars for a sheet vs. what fabric costs. I enjoy searching the thrift stores and garage sales for good sheets to use. Just the other day I saw a quilt for sale online where the top was also pieced with vintage sheets and advertised as so.
Old 02-26-2013, 06:32 AM

I use them also. I've heard that if they are really high thread count they don't work well. Probably they had them cleaned because if they are actually muslin the owner wanted them wrinkle free. Just in case try a test on a small area. I bet they will be great...
Old 02-26-2013, 06:33 AM
Power Poster

I use sheets all the time for backings, and have also pieced with some. Normally you would think of muslin as 100% cotton. Is the fabric content indicated? If they are all cotton, I think you are good to go, but even if they are a blend if you like them, use them, especially if you are machine piecing and quilting. If they are high thread count, it may make hand work difficult.
Here's a quilt I made a couple years ago. The beige fabric was a jacquard sheet...
http://www.quiltingboard.com/picture...es-t85293.html
Old 02-26-2013, 06:39 AM

I can remember seeing this tag on some sheets from Grandmother's closet. I know many older generation people sent out their sheets to be washed at the cleaners because they wanted them white white and ironed. I remember my mother ironing sheets when I was a young child. She oftened did ironing for people. This would have been 60 years ago. I've worked with older seniors who only did their personal laundry, sending all other items to the cleaners, even though they had a washing machine. If those sheets are super nice and appear vintage, they may be worth more in this state than to use in quilting, but they could be used in quilting if you so desire.
Old 02-26-2013, 07:36 AM

I tried looking it up too, and all I have found so far was this etsy listing that shows a pillowcase with original tag....
http://www.etsy.com/listing/10746303...FQP0nAodIjMAkw
Old 02-26-2013, 08:32 AM

I think is a great idea. The only time I hear people having issues with sheets is when handquilting, if they are a very very dense thread count.. if you arent handqulting, it shouldnt matter....
Old 02-26-2013, 09:08 AM

Thanks for all your comments. I think I'll get a lot of use from these sheets, one way or another.

Loved your quilt, Paper Princess. The embroidery is beautiful!

MaryMo, I'm beginning to wonder too if these may be too nice to cut up. They are double size unfortunately, and I have a Queen bed so I can't use them on it. I did come away with one lovely Queen set from Bella Linea which is a very nice linen shop in Nashville, TN.

Ontheriver, a few of the sheets I got were probably '70's vintage poly/cotton sheets of the type you mention. I have yet to sew with vintage sheets like that, but they sure are pretty. At one time there were a number of Etsy shops that seemed to specialize in fat quarter sets made up of them.

LizzyLou, thanks for checking. I found that one too, but it isn't the same label. Mine is just script.
Old 02-26-2013, 09:10 AM

I have a LA and use sheets all the time. I search them out at yard sales, goodwill, salvation army, etc. and make sure they are a nice quality cotton. If they are tightly woven, are very hard to hand quilt.