Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Vintage Postage Stamp Quilt Top >

Vintage Postage Stamp Quilt Top

Vintage Postage Stamp Quilt Top

Old 06-22-2011, 10:04 PM

My friend has an old quilt and when she had it appraised they told her it was more valuable NOT quilted but it is YOURS do what you want. I agree IF you quilt it it should be done by hand.
Old 06-22-2011, 10:22 PM

Even if it takes away from the appraisal price, I would hand tie this quilt. It's gorgeous and should be preserved. Definetely write the story behind it and a photo of it before being finished.
Old 06-23-2011, 06:30 AM

Definitely this one needs to be hand quilted. If you can't do it I'm sure it would be well worth the cost to have it done.
Old 06-23-2011, 11:03 AM

Originally Posted by mtspools
I would finish it but I would not machine quilt it. I would hand quilt it.What A wonderful fine. ENJOY!!!!!!!!!
I agree :thumbup:
Old 06-26-2011, 01:30 AM

Originally Posted by mtspools
I would finish it but I would not machine quilt it. I would hand quilt it.What A wonderful fine. ENJOY!!!!!!!!!
I agree hand quilt it so it is of the period. Machine quilting it takes away the charm of being a beautiful old piece of history. Ask at a museum to what you should do with it first.
Old 08-06-2011, 09:46 PM

Originally Posted by colwoods
Hand quilting would be appropriate for that era but if you cannot do that there are LA patterns such as "Baptist Fan" that would be appropriate to that era. The next question would be - have you or will you wash it when quilted?
I have not washed it, and I don't think I'd better until it's quilted because that would be a lot of stress on the seams. It has quite a bit of both light and dark in it, so when the time comes to wash the finished quilt I'd use lots of color catchers and hold my breath until it was safely on a bed.

I may never do anything with it. It looks nice displayed as it is. Sometimes I consider the possibility.
Old 08-06-2011, 09:57 PM

Originally Posted by laalaaquilter
GREAT quilt and wonderful story ;-). Can you get the ladies' names for the label?
I have the full name of one of them, but the other was known only as "Aunt Willie", and the woman who consigned it said they called her "Aunt", but she wasn't really related to them, so there's not much to go on. I have a note pinned to it with all the information I know about it, so that both I and my heirs can keep track, and eventually I'll get an embroidered label made for it.