Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Vintage quilt-how old?

Vintage quilt-how old?

Hi again. Know I just posted the pix of the sewing “stuff” I found at a thrift store. I was wondering if this would be the appropriate thread to post pix of a vintage quilt I just cleaned up and am in love with? A women at a junk shop sold it to me and we had a discussion about its age. She thought it was from the 40’s. My guess is late 50’s. Is anyone good with dating fabric. Whatever vintage, it’s beautiful and feel honored to own it now. It’s staying with me for sure. Anyone? Name:  809854C0-32EC-4DCC-A781-3FF5746E1867.jpg
Views: 997
Size:  1.05 MBWill upload another pix in the next box

Name:  6DBBB73B-892E-4B56-9FAA-4AB5CC8D391B.jpeg
Views: 994
Size:  1.61 MB This is another one of the quilt blocks, although they look more like appliqué in a way? Forgive my inexperience.

Name:  image.jpg
Views: 994
Size:  1.70 MBIt’s all hand sewn/quilted. The batting seems to be cotton. And the material is all cotton from the feel of it. It has that lovely crinkle going on as you can see.

You would be better off posting this under the "Main" forum. This forum is about anything related to Vintage Sewing Machines. My opinion, and it is only my opinion, I don't think it is that old. I base that on the darker blue fabrics in the quilt. Especially in the last picture, the fabric on the far right which is showing a blue leaf. Also, the contemporary designs are more contemporary than what was considered contemporary in the 50's. And lastly, unless this quilt was only washed a few times, the turquise and dark blue polka dots would be more faded.

Mind you, I am only playing detective, as I am no expert.

I'm going to guess... and I have zero experience here. I want to say that based on some of the larger fabric designs I'd say late 60's. My neighbor was a seamstress and she made herself clothes with "modern" florals like that. Two of the smaller prints look similar to what I bought to make a quilt back around 1968. But then, looking at the last picture, the tiny turquoise and brown flowers separated by the little stars, have the distinct 50's look to it. Next to it, the blue check with the pink/yellow/pink dots has the 30's look. Bottom line, this is a gorgeous quilt in beautiful shape with a selection of fabric that Is uniquely created with fabrics that may have spanned a couple decades. It says to me that someone lovingly put it together from grandma's sewing basket, the calico counter at the department store and maybe her closet.

Sorry next time I will post on main. Actually, I thought the same thing. Some of the fabrics looked mid century to me, that 50’s and 60’s, but then others earlier. I really am lucky. Got it for 45 dollars. Grateful that someone took the time and effort to make this beauty. I am sitting on my couch enjoying it now.

I think you're pretty much on target with the age of the fabrics.
    That's a treasure !!! So happy you found it.

Blog Entries
    With my limited experience, I'm agreeing with the others as many of these fabrics look similar to what my older sisters (HS Grad '65 and '66) would have used for fashion fabrics, especially that brown paisley. (I still love paisley fabrics!)

Thanks for sharing your charming quilt and welcome to the QB!
    Don't worry spider.
    I keep house
    casually.
    ---Basho
    Nothing's too small...I love miniatures.

I agree with mid-60's. Tho there are certainly older fabrics in it too, you have to age according to the youngest fabrics in the quilt. The binding goes on last, and that definitely has a 60's look to it.

Lucky find!
    http://www.etsy.com/shop/sewbizgirl
    Boom 20 Album of Blocks I made to swap https://www.quiltingboard.com/member...bums19942.html
    "The reward of a thing well done is having done it." -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

I'm going to go along with the others and place it a bit later towards the 60s. As sewbizgirl mentioned, a quilt is only as old as it's most recent fabric, but that does seem to be someone stash project with more than one decade represented.

What's important is that you connect with it!

I do think there are some 30's fabrics in there, but you do have to date according to the youngest fabrics. There were fabrics in the 30's which always reminded me of the prints in my dad's boxers shorts, lol. They were not the typical pastel prints you think of when you think of 30's and 40's fabrics. In this quilt, specifically, they are the rust print in the top photo and the matching blue and green prints in the second photo that I think may be older fabrics.

I spent a number of years collecting vintage fabric and feel I have a pretty good ideas on dating. Historically, I've considered those little medallion prints as being earlier but I recently found this piece that actually had selvedge information! The company name used was founded in 1952.

Scale is often a good way of telling things, the 30s prints tended to be smaller than the same basic designs used in the 50s for example.

edit -- that's a quarter in the picture for reference.

edit 2 -- the size and scatter of the polka dots looks more 60s to me than earlier, but it is so hard to date dots! I'm thinking the green is a pretty modern dye though.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Iceblossom; 09-12-2019 at 08:38 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Iceblossom View Post
    I'm going to go along with the others and place it a bit later towards the 60s. As sewbizgirl mentioned, a quilt is only as old as it's most recent fabric, but that does seem to be someone stash project with more than one decade represented.

What's important is that you connect with it!
    A friend who was in her late 70s had blocks and fabrics from her mother and grandmother. Every year she completed a quilt top from those close to her heart relics, then entered the quilt in the County Fair. That pattern was her favorite and she pieced most of the blocks by hand. All the quilting was done by her hand.
    I probably have in my stash some fabric that is older than what is in your new found quilt. My friend has been gone almost 10 years.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by sewbizgirl View Post
    The binding goes on last, and that definitely has a 60's look to it.

Lucky find!
    Good point, SBG
    Don't worry spider.
    I keep house
    casually.
    ---Basho
    Nothing's too small...I love miniatures.

There are a couple of books out there for dating fabrics, Dating Fabrics 1800-1960 and Dating Fabrics 1950 - 2000. Both are by Eileen Trestain and are available from Amazon. Your local library may have copies. Maybe these books can help with dating the quilt.

Great quilt and well worth the $45. Enjoy it, regardless of it's age!
    Anita

The only place that housework comes before quilting is in the dictionary.

What a lovely way to end my evening. Thanks for all the wonderful feedback. It’s good to hear from so many people with experience. I might invest in those books. I quilt myself (not well, btw), but I also find so many sewing supplies and fabric in thrift stores that I can’t bear to leave behind. I think the info would be really helpful. Ironically enough, I posted another thread under vintage machine parts and after that, I decided I also needed to know more about buttons. So I ordered a book about buttons!
    And good common sense rule about the “youngest” fabric. If I get a chance, I will post pix of another quilt I “rescued” years ago. Another random find, but I love it because the seamstress used basically what looked like every bit of old clothing etc they had. It taught me that you really need to use what you have sometimes. These were the original up-cyclers!

Blog Entries

Dating Fabrics Books

Quote Originally Posted by ILoveToQuilt View Post
    There are a couple of books out there for dating fabrics, Dating Fabrics 1800-1960 and Dating Fabrics 1950 - 2000. Both are by Eileen Trestain and are available from Amazon. Your local library may have copies. Maybe these books can help with dating the quilt.

Great quilt and well worth the $45. Enjoy it, regardless of it's age!
    Both of these books are wonderful resources! If you don't want to purchase the books, check your local library. Ours carries both of them. :-)

I think whoever made this quilt had fabric saved from several years. I see some of it from the 30's 40's and 50's. It looks like it was a scrap quilt or made from old clothes.

I think you might have a good range of years that this quilt is from. I think it is gorgeous no matter what year it was made and it will be wonderful treasure for you. Enjoy