Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Which vintage Singer 66?.. >

Which vintage Singer 66?..

Which vintage Singer 66?..

Old 08-16-2011, 10:46 PM

Hi all,
I have my great grandma's Singer model 66 sewing machine and the original cabinet...(love them both)..I am a little embarrassed to admit that I only display and admire the machine, never thought to use it for quilting...:oops: ... I think I have all the accessories, and I have the original little manual. What I am finding is that there are several model 66's, that vary from the year made...is this correct? I would like to find out exactly which model 66 it is, and the year it came out...I have found pics of several on line, and some look really close, but some of them also look alike, yet the info says they are from different years. In the 60's, I remember sitting on the bed and watching Ma sew on the machine, with her apron on, and her tea glass sitting on a coaster by the side of the machine...great memories!! Thanks for any ideas ya'll may have,
K
Old 08-16-2011, 11:08 PM

Your machines will have a number on them, normally on the left hand side, near the bobbin winder, this link http://www.sewalot.com/dating_singer...ial_number.htm will give you the date and where they were made, enjoy your machines as they are super for quilting, much better IMO than the flimsy modern ones.
Old 08-17-2011, 11:16 AM

Originally Posted by QultingaddictUK
Your machines will have a number on them, normally on the left hand side, near the bobbin winder, this link http://www.sewalot.com/dating_singer...ial_number.htm will give you the date and where they were made, enjoy your machines as they are super for quilting, much better IMO than the flimsy modern ones.
Thank you for the info... I did go to the link, but it does not have any info that matches my machine. I did what I should have done in the 1st place... ;-)...and have contacted the Singer company with all of the #s I have. Thanks again,
K
Old 08-17-2011, 12:00 PM

All the model 66s are alike, just with different features. For example, the 66-1 was treadle only, then came electrics, etc. But the basic model, the 66, is all the same. They did have different decals over the years. Some were Egyptian, Red Eye, Lotus, etc.

Also, you can go directly to the Singer Company website, go to the Serial Numbers pages and find your machine by the serial number. It should be 1 or 2 letters followed by numbers. By that you can tell approximately when it was made.
Old 08-17-2011, 02:33 PM

Thanks...what is odd about my machine is the original table has a treadle...but the machine has a motor on it...my Mom seems to recall that Ma had a motor added to it...I have checked the Singer site, and now have an e-mail out to them.
Thanks again,
K