Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Vintage Singer sewing machine >

Vintage Singer sewing machine

Vintage Singer sewing machine

Old 07-28-2023, 09:37 AM

Default Vintage Singer sewing machine

Hello,
Recently I have found a Singer sewing machine in my grandma’s garage. She used to sew for a long time but mostly during the past century in the 80’s, when she purchased one. Since my grandma has passed away last summer, she has left me many vintage things. The only thing that I’m not sure of is the year when sewing machine was made. It seems to be vintage and made long time ago. I’m writing here in hope that someone can help me out with machine dating and setting the value of the same, since I have decided to sell it to a local antique shop.
Thank you in advance,
Didy

Attached Thumbnails viber_slika_2023-07-28_19-04-34-859.jpg   viber_slika_2023-07-28_19-04-33-381.jpg   viber_slika_2023-07-28_19-04-29-282.jpg   viber_slika_2023-07-28_19-04-34-476.jpg  
Old 07-28-2023, 01:07 PM

The value probably won't be very much unless you clean it up and get it working, and then it's not a whole lot more. There is some information on another part of this forum. Click on this and it will take you to a recent discussion of treadle sewing machine values.
As far as how old it is, if you can read the serial number, you can look it up here.
Good luck with your machine.
bkay
Old 07-29-2023, 05:17 AM

As bkay said, it probably isn't worth very much. There seems to be some rust. The bobbin winder is missing parts and there are chips in the bed. It also looks like there may have been a drawer at one time. While it could be made to work, it would take some skill, patience and parts.

I can't read the serial number. I'm thinking that it may start with a C which would mean that it was made in Wittenberg and there isn't really dating information other than it started in 1908 and ended in 1945. I'm thinking that it may be a fairly early machine, as the later treadles would have had a table that allowed the head to be dropped, whereas yours seems to have originally come with a top as there are places that would have been able to put over the head and locked.

Janey - Neat people never make the exciting discoveries I do.
Not affiliated with off-site link(s)

Old 07-30-2023, 06:23 AM

Truly it is worth more as scrap. Sewing machines from that era were plentiful.