Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Virtual quilting weekend 5/14-5/16/21 >

Virtual quilting weekend 5/14-5/16/21

Virtual quilting weekend 5/14-5/16/21

Old 05-15-2021, 02:27 AM

I am getting close to the finish line with a baby quilt. I will square it up and prepare the binding....out of navy minky.
I hope to keep the fuzzies from covering me and my sewing room. Working with minky for a binding is a first for me.

A friend gave me 2 great tips when cutting minky: Wear a silk-like poly robe over your outfit to keep the fuzz off your clothes.
Put the just cut minky in the dryer on low to remove the excess edge fuzz.

Have fun everyone!

Old 05-15-2021, 03:19 AM

Yay! Lots of good stuff being shared. I’m in. Yesterday I decided on the quilting design For my May Colorblock quilt and started quilting it. That’s mainly what I’ll be working on this weekend.

Heather-thanks for hosting!

Rob
Old 05-15-2021, 05:08 AM

I think it is fine the way it is. Sometimes too much quilting makes a quilt stiff.
Old 05-15-2021, 05:39 AM

I'm in. I made a small quilt for a nursing home project that my Guild is hosting out of half of a jelly roll. I have to say I'm impressed with the quality of the Moda jelly rolls. Great fabric to work with. I have quilted part of it so my goal is to do as many lines of quilting as I can squeeze in this weekend. The weather here in the Northeast is gorgeous so we shall see.
I hope to get the binding attached also.
I treated !myself to a Featherweight 2 weeks ago and I'm still learning about that so that's also on my to do list.
Pix coming later!

Last edited by Nesie; 05-15-2021 at 05:45 AM.
Old 05-15-2021, 07:33 AM

I have nine of the spinning spools blocks from Alex Anderson's class made .. Took six hours out of my sewing time yesterday to stakeout a Costa's Hummingbird, but we missed him
Looks like I will have to post an edit to try and get my picture in, sorry it is a tad blurry, but it will have to do.
Attached Thumbnails image.jpeg  

Last edited by thimblebug6000; 05-15-2021 at 07:40 AM.
Old 05-15-2021, 08:26 AM

Originally Posted by Panchita View Post
This is what I'm starting with

(blocks along the top are my first 2 rows so far of Sylvia's Bridal Sampler, my UFO to potter on with)

Priority is stitching the reindeer heads (only fused right now)

Let's quilt!!
Those are so cute!
Old 05-15-2021, 08:57 AM

CJ; a quilt of mine, quilted diagonally 1 direction is distored d/t the stitching. I think at least some quilting the other direction. Or leave as is if you're satisfied.

Last edited by petthefabric; 05-15-2021 at 09:04 AM.
Old 05-15-2021, 09:52 AM

I have been working on my BOM from thequiltshow dot com and finally this week got the sections sewn together.
Attached Thumbnails fullsizerender-2-.jpg  
Old 05-15-2021, 09:54 AM

Not much accomplished yesterday, sewed the back to the correct size and started to press the front and get the strings off ready to glue baste. I realized I didn't have a piece of batting large enough, so trip to store. It was also my mom's 90th yesterday, so spent a good share of the afternoon with her. She is slowing down and on a low sodium diet, so treated her to contraband danish for breakfast and pizza for dinner. This morning watched DGS play soccer and quick trip to pick up milk. Will start sandwiching now then when the sun is less intense do some yard work. Meds and sun don't play well! It's going to be a long summer.
Old 05-15-2021, 10:03 AM

Thimblebug...that circle quilt is awesome! Nice work on the spools, as well.

I've just begun a quilt on my long arm and it took me a bit to figure out what I was going to do, but here it is. I still need to tear out the "odd" triangle feather and replace it with the flower.
It's coming all right...certainly has it's mistakes, but that's OK. I'm learning a lot as I do each quilt.
I also want to try to make placemats out of patterned vinyl and attempt to quilt them. I've done it before with black leather-look vinyl and it went OK, but this is a bit heavier, so I'm not sure how that will turn out.
Watson

Attached Thumbnails trianglequilting1.jpg   trianglequilting2.jpg