Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Virtual Quilting Weekend--Aug 11-13, 2023 >

Virtual Quilting Weekend--Aug 11-13, 2023

Virtual Quilting Weekend--Aug 11-13, 2023

Old 08-12-2023, 02:15 AM

Originally Posted by thimblebug6000 View Post
  • Hope to get more of the big stitch done on this project , it has been too hot for weeks but today I used a lap tray with legs to keep the quilt up off my lap. Hopefully I can get this finished before too long!
Your quilt is lovely thimblebug! I like your idea of using a lap tray to keep you cooler as you stitch.
Do you enjoy doing big stitch? Was it hard to learn?
Old 08-12-2023, 02:31 AM

Hello you busy quilters! I want to wish you a fun and productive virtual quilting weekend! It's always interesting to read/see what everyone is working on or as for me planning on doing when time allows.

I am super busy with family celebrations and grands. I have a baby quilt in the works. I plan to press sewn blocks and then pin more sections to those blocks to get them ready to sew into rows. This is my hope for the weekend.

Remember to take stretch breaks and eat chocolate for energy as you go about your quiting to do list.

Old 08-12-2023, 03:55 AM

Could you share how you incorporate your cross stitch project into a quilt?
Old 08-12-2023, 03:57 AM

I'm off to meet up with my friend so we can continue to cut scraps ( although I'm hoping she'll cut and I'll sew!!)
Old 08-12-2023, 05:26 AM

I had to work yesterday but did manage to sew about 25 HST pairs together after supper. Today is filled with errands and tonight the oldest son and his wife and taking us to a Firemans Carnival for dinner. We used to take the kids when they were small and now they take us. LOL I don't see much sewing getting done today. Drat!
Old 08-12-2023, 06:26 AM

I took a tumble on Monday. Yikes. spent about 8 hrs in the ER. All I wanted was an ankle x-ray to make sure I didn't break any bones. Well, the Dr. had other ideas, said since I was on a Blood thinner, I had to have a CT scan of my head to make sure I didn't have a bleed. Then as I had hit my back against the door and had a big bruise forming, he wanted a CT of my abdomen to make sure I hadn't torn anything. Anyway, after all the CT's and x-rays I got to go home with 6 pain pills and an ankle brace. I had been planning on working on a flannel quilt but as it is pain to stand and cut, I decided to play with my embroidery machine and have been making some of Laurel Birche's Mythical Horses. They are bright and I like them. I am thinking I will make them into table runners or maybe a small lap quilt. I did get my insert for my cabinet for the Bernina 475 so that is going to be my main piecing machine and the Bernina 590 is now out of the cabinet
Old 08-12-2023, 07:11 AM

Originally Posted by copycat View Post
Your quilt is lovely thimblebug! I like your idea of using a lap tray to keep you cooler as you stitch.
Do you enjoy doing big stitch? Was it hard to learn?
I take a very casual approach to big stitch work 😀 a friend recommended a chenille needle so I got a few different sizes and use the one I need for the “thread” … in this case I am using crochet cotton, no idea what weight, but I have been saving it, so now it has found a use.
The first time I did it, I marked all my lines and found that tedious, so I am just enjoying free stitching, not quite straight lines, because this project was machine quilted in the ditch already, it will have plenty of stitching holding it together.
Last year I made a little Kawandi runner and when it was finished, I was very pleased to see that any uneven stitching didn’t matter at all.
Attached Thumbnails img_0944.jpeg  

Last edited by thimblebug6000; 08-12-2023 at 07:21 AM.
Old 08-12-2023, 07:46 AM

I'm just enjoying everyone's posts as I am kind of in a slump when it comes to quilting. I have a few ideas in my head, but that is as far as it goes.
Old 08-12-2023, 10:36 AM

Originally Posted by aashley333 View Post
Could you share how you incorporate your cross stitch project into a quilt?
So basically what I'll do is cross-stitch the tree onto the Aida cloth, then I'll use a piece of black fabric to back that so the batting doesn't show through or beard through the holes. The Tree will be the middle block, with the rest of the panels surrounding it.

Cloth has arrived so I'm just checking in here and going through my email real fast, then will start gridding it. I'm going to use Fray Check instead of sewing the edges, I've got a wicked headache trying to show up and severe weather in the forecast all weekend.
Old 08-12-2023, 12:49 PM

I am lurking this weekend. Sounds like it's a great weekend for VQW with the heat across the country. Reading through what everyone is working on, lots of progress. Way to much going on on my life that I can only dream of spending a day at the sewing machine right now. My DFIL passed away four weeks ago from metastatic cancer, I moved in with him the end of June, and with Hospice guidance, he passed at home, just as he wanted to, and I promised him he would. The plan has always been that DH and I would move into his house. So we put our house on the market, and we had 3 offers within 48 hours. Closing is in two weeks.
I am working on a flamingo quilt, and will be looking forward to getting back to it later this fall. Everyone enjoy your time sewing, I will check back later this weekend.