Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Virtual quilting weekend December 31-January 2, 2022 >

Virtual quilting weekend December 31-January 2, 2022

Virtual quilting weekend December 31-January 2, 2022

Old 01-02-2022, 05:05 PM

I had just finished cutting out an apron to wear while sewing (hoping to keep some thread off of me!) when my mom called for help with my dad. We took him to ER and they decided he had a UTI , hydrated him and sent him home with antibiotics. So no sewing today.
An interesting ? thing about my apron is that the fabric came from some leftover drapery fabric from when I worked at a design center in the 80's. Floral in soft shades of mauve and lavender but will make a pretty apron I hope!
Old 01-02-2022, 07:55 PM

I got the blocks sewn to vertical sashing for both quilts. I got the first quilt blocks sewn into rows. I will hopefully have some time tomorrow to sew the next set of blocks into rows since it is a remote work day. I am love having access to my machine for breaks.
Old 01-03-2022, 04:16 AM

Got my green and white checker board quilt finished than decided I wanted it just a little bit bigger. Went back to the maching and made more four patches that will be added today. Then layer and start some diagonal straight line stitching. But wait, there is more. I looked at my basket of odds and ends of pieces and what did I find. More four patches of pink and white, 2.5" squares. Any one willing to guess what my next quick project will be?

See everyone in a couple of weeks for our regular VQW.
Old 01-03-2022, 04:39 AM

Kind of disappeared on everyone for the last couple days.

Accomplished a lot during my declutter. My three drawer organizer has been cleaned out and put back together, cleaned out the three shelves next to my right leg and organized it. I think I'm up to three bags of trash because I cut-throat culled a bunch of stuff. Cleaned my sewing machine found the original foot pedal for my Dressmaker, swept the floor four times, found a bunch of scraps and have them in a box for me to organizer, got rid of things that didn't belong in here and now I'm taking a break. I'll be tackling a couple of drawers next to my left leg next, these things are such clutter and junk magnets that I'm just taking them off my sewing cabinet and getting rid of them, then I'll hang all of my square rulers where they were.
Old 01-03-2022, 05:01 AM

Well I got the Merry Mayhem mystery done. I found enough fabric for a backing prewashed. Then I became a slug the rest of the weekend.
Attached Thumbnails a13d4537-af69-42ac-8d00-839500e24076.jpeg  
Old 01-03-2022, 05:17 AM

Nice finish CJsews. You certainly made great use of the VQW. I got my 64 blocks finished and will arrange them on my design wall today but I got side tracked yesterday with taking down our Christmas tree, cleaning and sorting through fabric in my sewing room. Thank you Heather for another VQW…I look forward to the next one.
Old 01-03-2022, 08:08 AM

I did get Christmas taken down and put away. A good feeling. My sewing room now can be used for a sewing room once again.
My next project is to finish putting my 5" hexagon rows together. Not my favorite kind of sewing (Y seams), but I will persevere and get it done before I start another project.
Old 01-03-2022, 08:24 AM

Originally Posted by Gemm View Post
This is a really nice quilt - how do you make it as a leader/ender? Do you precut everything and stack them together so that you're sure you've got the pieces you need for each block? I've not done a leader/ender quilt (although I have sewn crumbs together between other stitching projects) and am not sure how random it's supposed to be. This seems to be carefully planned. Just curious. :-)
i used the Easy Breezy free pattern from Bonnie Hunter and cut blocks and put the pieces into baggies. Just take out enough components for one block at a time and have them sitting in a convenient spot by the machine. I made one block first so I knew where the pieces were supposed to go, and used it as my guide when laying out each block before stitching.
Old 01-03-2022, 08:59 AM

I ended up going to the barn yesterday, so didn't get any quilting done, but I did do the 2nd part of the Let's Get it Done declutter challenge so I'm feeling pretty good about that.

It was so much fun to see what everyone is doing, I'm looking forward to our next VQW.

Thanks for hosting, Raggiemom!

Rob
Old 01-03-2022, 09:42 AM

Originally Posted by thimblebug6000 View Post
i used the Easy Breezy free pattern from Bonnie Hunter and cut blocks and put the pieces into baggies. Just take out enough components for one block at a time and have them sitting in a convenient spot by the machine. I made one block first so I knew where the pieces were supposed to go, and used it as my guide when laying out each block before stitching.
Thanks for the clarification, Thimblebug! :-)