Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Virtual Quilting Weekend--Jan 15-18, 2021 >

Virtual Quilting Weekend--Jan 15-18, 2021

Virtual Quilting Weekend--Jan 15-18, 2021

Old 01-17-2021, 05:09 PM

I've unfortunately had a "life got in the way" weekend. I had an unexpected appointment for my car at the dealership, so no quilting to be had. Today was groceries, I also get my DFIL's again due to rising Covid numbers, cleaning house, laundry,brownies, and chicken pot pie for supper, so again no sewing. I was feeling bummed out since it is VQW, then I reread the dates, and am happy to say, I'll be sewing tomorrow.

I've been lurking on here this weekend, watching and reading about everyone's progress, beautiful, inspiring work. Keep up the great work. 👍
Old 01-17-2021, 05:20 PM

Got my charity project quilted with a small hiccup...I misjudged the backing and it ended up being too. Luckily found a fix at quiltedjoy.com

Attached Thumbnails 7b51a523-3074-4cae-9109-3dabd3faec86.jpeg  
Old 01-17-2021, 05:41 PM

One more day, yay! I should be able to sew the final borders on Grassy Creek!
Old 01-17-2021, 11:02 PM

Feeling victorious. Conquered my fear of applique and made the cornerstones on my Bear Paw quilt. Then attached borders 2,3 and 4 to quilt. (Less work than it sounds like. 2&3 were already sewn together). When I laid it out...came out BEAUTIFUL. I had purchased flannel for backings at a hot sale this summer so just pieced it together. 2 quilts ready to sandwich
Old 01-18-2021, 02:59 AM

I chose fabric from my stash for the Baby whale quilt. (check)

I began cutting out 2 of the whale blocks using Minky fabric. (check)

Hindsight: Not sure it was a wise choice with minky having a nap and stretch. Also, the whale block pattern shows piecing the units. I have never pieced minky before...sooo I will stop cutting and do a trial block. I will let you know if it works!
Old 01-18-2021, 03:46 AM

Monday morning update: I am still feeling the Whoo Hoo!
1. Finish pillow for my granddaughter - not finished but made some progress.
2. Make more 4x4 grids squares (16 squares each) from my 2.5" squares - Goal of 50 Made 39 and have plenty of 2.5's to make more.
3. Add binding to brown quilt and maybe hand stitch it to the back. Three of the four sides are finished.

I am pleased to have made this progress over the week-end. Now back to my week of work with a bit of quilting sprinkled in here and there. Congratulations everyone on your progress.

Old 01-18-2021, 03:57 AM

I finished the binding on a lap quilt (yay). I love binding, but for some reason I really struggled with this one. 🤷‍♀️

I also cut out all the background fabric for my next quilt.
Old 01-18-2021, 03:59 AM

Originally Posted by QuiltingVagabond View Post
One more day, yay! I should be able to sew the final borders on Grassy Creek!
I forgot that it was a three day VQW. I will prepare the binding for my just finished quilt and work on my Debby Brown color block project.

Quilting vagabond, you’ve done a great job keeping up with BH’s grassy creek.
Old 01-18-2021, 04:14 AM

So far I got my log cabin together. Now I need to cut and add holly leaves and berries. Also got one rag quilt done. I’ll get another rag quilt today.
Old 01-18-2021, 04:42 AM

Default Early Monday Update

Well, today is the day I tackle getting my quilting corner organized. It's not as bad as it usually is and shouldn't take me too long to do. At least I hope. I've got a couple things that have gone M.I.A, so finding those are top priority. I just hope I don't create an even bigger mess trying to locate them.

tropit - yes, the little kitty is the needle minder. On the back there is a daisy, so it's like it's interchangeable but I love that sweet kitty face, it makes me smile and keeps me motivated. I also haven't lost my needle yet since I got it, I'm always losing it for one reason or another.

sewbizgirl - there are times I have to stop and kind of reflect on my past pets and some of my family's pets, but it just reminds me that I'm doing this for them and it doesn't bog me down that much. I bawled harder at Hobby Lobby when I found the pattern.

Raggiemom - feeling much better this morning, took my Aleve as soon as I woke up and so far, aches are down to a dull roar and dimming by the minute. Yesterday was harder because it took so long to find it, today will be much easier.