Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Virtual Section for Hand Quilting?

I am also a handquilter.

I am hand piecing one right now, (first one) and will be starting to quilt it in a couple of weeks, and would love a special place for tips and ideas.

I would love to see a section for hand quilting. I just bought a laptop hoop and can't wait to get my quilt basted so I can start using it!

I think there are many of us who do both hand quilting and fmq on a machine. I prefer the look of hand quilting, but sometimes like the speed of machine quilting. :D

Quote Originally Posted by irishrose
    I can't imagine a hand quilter feeling looked down upon. I have nothing but admiration for someone with that skill. I don't handquilt, but I treasure any hand quilted items I have.
    I brought some squares to work on at one quilters guild meeting. I just can't sit still without some project to work on - it helps with the social anxiety. The old biddies that were there took one look at me & just walked away to gossip with their friends (not about me, just walked away). It's one of the reasons that I will not go back to that local quild.

Quote Originally Posted by debbieumphress
    Hello in Germany... I lived there 2 yrs in Bad Kreuznach (sp). Dad was army. I started knidergarten there. Nice to meet you. Love your avatar.
    Thank you! My avatar shows a little part of one of my quilts with freehand quilted patterns. Love to do that.
    My uncle and his family lives near Bad Kreuznach, it is such a beautiful area there!

It would be great to have a virtual section for the topic of hand quilting. I keep trying, but have a long way to go to be good at it. Maybe some of you experienced hand quilters can give tips for those of us less proficient. :thumbup:

I too am a hand quilter.

I am also a hand quilter and I would love one.

Blog Entries
    I keep hoping with more time I will be able to sew by hand again. I really miss embroidering. I think hand quilting small items to learn how would be fun.

I don't think it is old fashioned. I would never do it cause it takes to long and I wouldn't have the patience for it. But I sure admire all the people who do hand quilting, and they love doing it. Keep up the good work you guys! You are definitely admired!

Quote Originally Posted by redkimba
    I would love a section for hand-quilting. It may get looked down on as "old-fashioned" but I like it. :)

Blog Entries
    I would definitely be visiting the handquilting section if there is one! I wouldn't call myself a handquilter, as I am working on my first ever quilt, but I am handquilting it right now. I spend 2 hours a night doing it, and love it. In a way I can't wait till it's finished and I can use it, but I love having it to quilt.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by quiltlady37
    I am also a handquilter.
    me too, but when I have the time and energy for it.

Quote Originally Posted by Butterflyblue
    Would anyone else be interested in a virtual section for hand quilting? Since I've started it seems like since there are relatively few posts on hand quilting, they get lost easily (pushed down the list) and it would be nice to have them in one place to refer to.

Actually, a section for FMQ would be nice too, I think. It comes up more often, but having all the threads on tips and tricks in one place would be handy.
    I would love that! Both handquilting and FMQ. Great idea :idea:

FMQ? what's FMQ? I probably know, but the coffee hasn't kicked in yet.

never mind - found the definition (Free Motion Quilting)

I don't know how to hand quilt, but it's on my list of things to learn! I would love to see a section devoted to it so that I can learn.

Does hand quilting have it's own section now? or do we need to keep sifting through the main stuff?

Yes, it has! You find it under the User Defined Topic Lists on the Message Board's start side.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2