Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Visiting Paducah for the first time >

Visiting Paducah for the first time

Visiting Paducah for the first time

Old 04-07-2013, 06:33 AM

Default Visiting Paducah for the first time

Hello, we are visiting Paducah for the very first time. There are seven of us going and have heard lots of great things about going. Some people have told us about great buys with fabric. Does anyone have any experience with where are the best places and when to go to get good fabric at a great price. Also any suggestions as to not to miss things to do. We are arriving on Tues night, have Thurs and Friday classes. Thank you
Old 04-07-2013, 06:44 AM

If you are talking about the Quilt Show - then you won';t have any problems getting around, etc. - the newspaper (where my DD works as a reporter) puts out a section in their newspaper with a map, directions to all venues, etc. Quilt in a Day (Eleanor Burns) will have three or four locations where she sells fabric. To me, that is the only place where you will get an actual bargain. Hancocks of Paducah is one of the most fantastic fabric stores in the world - a MUST SEE - but they sell at a very high retail price. They might have some remnants at a sale price but they will be picked over. At Quilt in a Day, every day of the week she will have a $1 off per yard on certain colors of fabrics - red fabrics, blue, brown, etc. I picked out a fabric last year that was basically blue but had little pink flowers on it and it was "pink day" and they let me have it for $1 off per yard. My DH goes with me and my DD and he helps hold the bolts, etc. while we are in line - although, Quilt in a Day has lots of tables that you can put you stuff on.
Old 04-07-2013, 07:05 AM

First of all...Hancock's of Paducah is a MUST STOP. The bargains will be in the back room where there are tables upon tables with sooo much fabric. Of course the earlier you get there the better because there will be many, many women pawing through all of that fabric. It's fun, though. All you need to do is a "shout out" that you're looking for a hot pink, or something, and soon others will be shouting back that they found something for you. Also, in that back warehouse room there are lots and lots of jelly rolls, bali pops, and kits that are very exciting to see. Out front the bolted fabrics are endless. Also, many quilts hanging from the ceiling for display.

Then...across from the museum the Murray Sewing Center from Murray, KY will have a "store/tent" set up all week. They will open up on Monday, a couple of days ahead of the show. Eleanor Burns always has a tremendous sale barn, etc in one of the parks. And, I agree, that the really good deals will be there. They usually have three price categories on the fabrics, lots of books and other "tools" of the trade.

The whole town will be devoted to making your stay a pleasant one. Trollies run constantly between the parks, the Mall where there are vendors...some good deals can be found there..., the antique mall downtown where there are more vendors and deals, and the convention center where the actual show is set up.

Hope you all have a great time. We here in Paducah can't wait to see all of you.
Old 04-07-2013, 07:29 AM

Something I forgot to mention above.
There is also the Grand Rivers show which is held at the same time as the Paducah show. It has only about 150 quilts and more "down home" quality. Some like it better because the winner is chosen by "viewers choice." It is about 20 minutes from Paducah out by the Lakes and there is a wonderful restaurant out there...Patti's Settlement. The botanical garden there is fun to stoll through...very relaxing after the Paducah crowds.
Old 04-07-2013, 09:32 AM

There are sooo many good things to do while at Paducah.

Get the map and schedule. See if there are any classes [if any are still open] that you might take. there are lots of demos and, of course, Eleanor Burns is there. There are usually evening events also. Take time to browse the schedule and map as much as you can.

In my group we didn't all want the same thing so we split up groups so that no person was alone. With cell phones it is easy to arrange getting together for lunch or whatever.

Enjoy.

I wore out socks when I went. So wear good walking shoes [which I did] and have extra socks. It is nice if you don't mind using a fanny pack so you have your hands free. Take a camera or be prepared to load up you cell phone.
Old 04-07-2013, 10:00 AM
Power Poster

You won't find any great fabric bargains. Quilt in A Day has big tent/wareouse fabric sales. Also be sure and watch Eleanor Burn's tent show. It's fantastic. She has it twice a day and then stays all day to sign books. She always has a smile on her face and very accessible to quilters. Her shop in downtown but her show sales are out by the fairgrounds. She may have moved to her warehouse this year. The Rotary Club always has a quilt exhibit with lots of vendors in their building. Finkle's has $6 quilt books in their warehouse. The Quilt Museum has the auction quilts and the Yo Yo Ladies.
The mall has lots of vendors! Too many to miss. Hancocks is fabric overload. If you have time sit on the porch and talk to the dozens of quilters there waiting for the shuttle buses or tour buses. It's fun to meet quilters from all over. If you are driving you can get to places faster then using the shuttle bus but the bus is fun to chat with other quilters. Plenty of parking everywhere. Take bottle water with you.
Old 04-07-2013, 11:09 AM
yel

don't miss the park where elanor burns has her show and lot of fabric .....each day the deal of the day is a different color
Old 04-07-2013, 11:55 AM
Power Poster

i went about 10 yrs ago all the shops are great to see and there was a button place that had tons of buttons plus go to hannocks have fun!!!
Old 04-09-2013, 08:03 AM

Across from the Museum there's a $5 a yard store with quite a bit of good stuff. I was pleasantly surprised last year at
the variety and selection. The town is easy to get around in if you want to drive, but the shuttles are free if you don't. The empty stores down town are rented by vendors and you can spend all day just on Broadway checking out what they have. The 49th annual lighted Dogwood Trail is probably going to coincide with the show as well...nice drive through a historic part of town and folks light their dogwood trees at night. Several churches in the area have quilter's meals and the prices are great. If anyone wants the meal schedule, I'll be happy to post it. Don't forget to check out the murals on the floodwall and the Market House square...Kirchoff's Bakery is a huge treat too...they serve sandwiches and baked goods all day long. (and a big favorite with the locals as well) Mom is one of the YoYo ladies and they're busy getting the finishing touches put on all of their stuff as well...let's hope the weather stays nice!
Old 04-09-2013, 03:18 PM

I would love to go and my husband has volunteered to take the trip with me--but what is there for non-quilting husband's to do? He would probably just enjoy a decent place to stay and be quiet and read--hotels/inns? (next year, not this year)