Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
VQW—Jan 14-17, 2022 >

VQW—Jan 14-17, 2022

VQW—Jan 14-17, 2022

Old 01-14-2022, 03:10 PM

Sounds like Bonnie Hunter patterns are quite popular this weekend!

quiltedsunshine--Mariners Compass is one of my favorite designs. I have an EPP one I'm in the middle of stitching together. I'm planning a paper pieced one sometime this year. And I have Quiltsmart interfacing to make one

jmoore--looks like a great pattern for some charity quilts

It's been a productive day. I finished two of the quilts today and pinned two more. Tomorrow morning our guild is having a virtual sew-in so I have some wool applique out to work on. Hopefully will be back on the machine in the afternoon.
Old 01-14-2022, 03:38 PM

Thanks again for hosting, Heather!

I am not sure how much I'm going to get done this weekend, I had a pretty bad fall on Wednesday that resulted in me going back to urgent care just as I was coming home from urgent care. I twisted my ankle up, which is wrapped in an ACE Bandage but sadly, it's my driving foot for my sewing machine. I'm not sure if I'm going to be able to extend my foot for long periods and my fall table quilt I started is actually ready for me to sew the blocks together.

I'm still doing the Declutter Challenge with Karen Brown, so whatever daily challenges she gives, I know I'll be able to at least get those done. I'm really hoping we start dealing with scraps and fabric at some point this weekend, I think I've found all the scraps I'll find and I need to get through them to decide what to do with them next.

Regardless, I am going to be in my sewing corner for most of the weekend, I just don't know what I'll work on.
Old 01-14-2022, 03:56 PM

I have big plans for this weekend and hopefully I'll be able to get some of it done! This afternoon I finished packaging up all the 2.5" charms for the birthday candy swap. (If anyone wants a mailbox full of quilty goodness on your birthday, please join us!) I have some quilting to rip out, because my sweet four year old daughter fiddled with my tension dial and I didn't notice until I had finished! So, I plan to rip that out and finish that quilting. Then, I know this sounds crazy, but I am making some Christmas ornaments for next year! A shop I follow on Etsy had some super cute felt ornament kits on sale so I bought two. I will put them away for next year and they will be new and fresh again.
Old 01-14-2022, 03:59 PM

Originally Posted by sewingitalltogether View Post
Me too. I will be sewing. Have been working on my UFO challenge on American Patchwork and Quilting. Have my ornaments quilt ready to go to the quilters and am finishing up the hand appliqué on my tulips quilt.
Sewingitalltogether- This is sew bright and cheerful! Looking forward to seeing it finished, your appliqué is lovely.

Got all the rows sewn together, so tomorrow I will go through each row and make sure there are no turned pieces then I have to wait for one of the border fabrics to arrive.

I will probably continue pulling patterns and fabrics as I decide what projects I want to work on this year.
Old 01-14-2022, 06:08 PM

Raggiemom, thanks for hosting this VQW. Count me in too. Not sure what I will work on but I do have several projects.
Old 01-14-2022, 07:13 PM

Achieved my first goal. The quilt top is done (pictures will come once I can convince a lovely assistant to hold it for me as the shots I take of it on the floor are just so wonky and awkward). Going to call it a night but hope to be able to start something else to keep everyone company this weekend. :-)
Old 01-15-2022, 05:04 AM

Gail, your appliqué quilt is cheerful and bright…it is coming along nicely. It is 2 degrees here this morning and in the negatives with the wind chill factor so a great day to stay in my sewing room. 🤗

Sounds like everyone has plenty to keep them busy.
Old 01-15-2022, 05:32 AM

Yay! I missed the post yesterday, but got a little bit of quilting done on my Doodle quilt. Today I want to finish up quilting one of the flowers on the doodle quilt. I also want to get the background fabrics cut for the October Color Block quilt so I can get it put together someday.

RRbrat- I too am doing the Just get it Done declutter challenge. I dealt with pins and needles the other day, but haven't yet done the sewing notions as I did a major declutter of those a couple of years ago. Still I should look at what I've got now and see if there's anything more that I can let go of...

Looking forward to seeing what everyone is working on this weekend! Thanks for hosting, Raggiemom.

Rob
Old 01-15-2022, 05:33 AM

A Saturday morning update:
made some serious progress on cutting my 2.5 squares. Trying to be really organized with the cutting, sorting and putting the left over fabric back into storage in a neat and organized manner. More to go but the end is in sight.

I created all of the four patches for my donation quilt and squared up the 16 patches.

Raggiemom and Quiltedsunsine, I am on the hunt for a mariners compass pattern. Can you share either here or by PM some sources that you have used and like, books or patterns. One of my "To Do" quilts this year is for the sailor husband of a friend. I found a book several year ago and muttered the famous last words, "I'll get it the next time I'm in the shop". Needless to say it wasn't there and have no idea the name of the book. Thanks all.

Back to this weekend's list.

Old 01-15-2022, 07:48 AM

Rryder - I love her challenges so much, I swear she's thought of things that I generally would have passed over had I been on my own. I don't think my sewing corner has ever been this organized before and getting rid of things that I have held onto just for the sake of 'I don't want to deal with that today' has been quite liberating. I'm really anxious to get into the scraps, but I know if I start down that road before I'm ready, I'm just going to de-organize everything I've already organized, lol!

I am so restless today, it is unreal. I'm not sure if it's the weather or the fact that I'm laid up with my ankle or what it is, but I can't stay focused on much. I have two organizers to make, something from Lisa Pay I'm itching to start and I'd like to try and at least get the blocks sewn together and ready to be sewn into rows when I feel my ankle can handle it. Hexies to sew together, Karen's challenge today is get through the UFOs we have and make a final decision on whether or not we want to finish them or scrap them. I only have one and that's going into the trash but it means getting out my chest, which will lead me to declutter it.

Ugh, too many things to do and not enough brain power to decide what to do.