Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Wal Mart Fabric revisited >

Wal Mart Fabric revisited

Wal Mart Fabric revisited

Old 09-01-2011, 06:36 PM

I went by the fabric department at Wal Mart this morning and noticed the $2 a yard table. There was a piece of brown print, which usually would not have attracted my attention, but on a whim, I felt it. It had a great hand, smooth and silky, not very heavy, but certainly not gauzey either. The print on the wrong side was reasonably heavy, so I bought a yard, brought it home and did what I never do--I prewashed it in hot water and detergent and dried it in the hottest possible cycle. I did use a Shout color catcher in the washing machine, which was a good thing because the fabric did bleed some, although not very much.

When the fabric came out of the drier, there was hardly any raveling at the cut ends and almost no shrinkage. The hand was not quite as smooth as before it was washed, but it still felt really good.

The end of the bolt said it was made in India but there was no manufacturer's name and no color dots on the selvage.
Despite its anonymity, I plan to look for more of this kind of fabric in different colors and prints. It is wonderful to have a source for usable fabric at a price that makes buying fabric fun again.

Just thought you might like to know $2 will buy a pretty piece of fabric at Wal Mart. And there are some spectacularly pretty prints from VIP (Cranston Mills) for $5.47 a yard. froggyintexas
Old 09-01-2011, 06:45 PM

I am so glad to hear that I am not the only one who finds good fabrics at Walmart. I look thru their clearance tables every time I am there. Yes, there are very cheap fabrics, we've all seen them. And yes, there the basics which don't change. And yes, there are great fabrics for the price. Who doesn't love spending $2 for a yard of great fabric?
Old 09-01-2011, 10:52 PM

I have found several fabrics that I have really liked in the last few months at Walmart. I am so happy they have brought the fabric section back.
Old 09-02-2011, 01:42 AM

Still no fabric in Kingsland. There is a rumor going around.
Old 09-02-2011, 04:31 AM

our local WalMart has gotten back fabric but it is the precut yard, 2 yard pkgs. they do have some really neat jelly rolls and fat quarter bundles. I miss my bolt fabric department.
Old 09-02-2011, 04:49 AM
Power Poster

Glad to hear.
Old 09-02-2011, 04:59 AM

Wal Marts in Mississipapi(in my area) have gotten there fabrics back. Haven't seen many decent quality pieces in what they have gotten in stock. Will keep looking beacuse every now and then you can find some really descent looking fabrics there. Glad the fabric made it back to Wal Mart in any case.
Old 09-02-2011, 06:38 AM
Power Poster

Just curious, did the bolt also indicate this was 100% cotton fabric? You didn't mention.
Old 09-02-2011, 07:07 AM

I have also bought some great fabric for the 2 a yard at Wal Mart. I have had only one problem. I bought some pink and blue print fabric for the back of quilts and when you iron on it it turns colors. The pink turned almost orange in some places. I washed it and it still looks the same. Overall though I have been pleased with their fabric.
Old 09-02-2011, 07:11 AM

I think that there are a lot of really good fabrics at walmart. I found a piece at my LQS that I thought was just beautiful and it was horrible and I ended up tossing it due to being a fraying, twisting mess. I guess there are lemons everywhere we just need to find the kind that make the sweetest juice for our budget.