Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Wal-Mart/ Joann's fabric >

Wal-Mart/ Joann's fabric

Wal-Mart/ Joann's fabric

Old 01-30-2010, 07:53 PM

Originally Posted by cjtinkle
Well I agree. I cut up old clothing and happily use it in scrap quilts. I just don't go out and buy lesser quality fabrics, when good ones can be had just as cheaply if you shop around.

I bought about 30 yards of fabric online this morning for $3.98 a yard, from Hancocks of Paducah on their web special page. Can't beat that!

Originally Posted by Beachbound
I love this discussion! I agree with just about everything said. Quilts are made with love not snobbery. It's better to have a quilt made with less than perfect fabric or even skills ;-) and made with love than the best store bought- million run factory 'quilt'. I have fabric in my stash from all walks of life!
Oh good for you!!! I just ordered their catalog & was drooling over the batiks on sale there. It pays to shop smart!
Old 01-30-2010, 09:13 PM

I haven't bought fabric at Wal-Mart for many years, so I have nothing to say about it one way or the other. However, you really CAN buy some very nice fabric at Joann's, but you have to shop very carefully to find the good stuff. In my opinion, you should not go into Joann's (or Hancock Fabrics) and choose fabric just by color, since so much of their fabric is very poor quality ... flimsy, see-through, loosely woven and often the weave and/or the pattern/dye is flawed. I usually shop for quality rather than color and then, in time, I manage to get enough quality fabrics that go together very well. The best fabric I've gotten there has come off the Red Tag sale table, mixed in amongst the really hideous home decorating and garment fabrics. Over a period of several years, I've gotten quite a lot of excellent Red Tag "finds".
Old 01-30-2010, 09:39 PM

Originally Posted by merryj
How do you know the fabric is really what you want if you order online? Don't you need to see and feel it before you buy?
Recently and for the first time ever, I ordered fabric on line ... some VERY pricey die-cut 2-1/2" strips ... specifically because they are in sets ... already color matched for the French Braid quilt that I want to do. I'm not too happy paying about twice the $$$ that I usually pay, but considering the color matching and the cutting is all done for me, I'm not unhappy about it either. Now that I've gotten the strips, I've since placed my order for yardage (for panels, sashing, squares, and backing) in colors that I think will really set off the strips to good advantage. That package will be here in a week or so and I'm keeping my fingers crossed that the mix/match will be stunning!

Because I really like to see and feel fabric before I purchase it, up until now, the only fabric I ordered on-line was 3-yds. of quilt backing.
Old 01-31-2010, 04:43 AM

I was advised by a JoAnn associate that they regularly do a "pull down" of regular fabrics and put them on a 50% off rack. I have gotten some really nice fabric that I had not considered buying prior because of the price. I would check the store regularly; sometimes you can get very lucky.